1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Info on internet connection from house 700 yds to my house

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slrhine, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slrhine

slrhine Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am trying to find out how much and what kind of hardware I need to purchase to piggy-back off my inlaws internet connection. They live 600+yds away and have satellite internet. We were told that its possible and not illegal to do this as we do cable this way now. What do I need in order to get it to my desktop machine and also my laptop. I have no modem or anything in my desktop currently. HELP!

2. kev1952

kev1952

I know this is going to sound awful but get your OWN internet connection. The distance is too great for a wireless network and probably wouldn't work terribly well by hardwiring it (and that's assuming you can get past the physical problems of installing the cable externally). You may be able to use a powerline network connection (not sure if these will work on an extended intranet) but the setup costs are still pretty high for now.

Really - fork out the few dollars that a internet connection of your own will cost. Much better proposition all round.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

You can do this with a wireless LAN (wi-fi) connection, but you will need a directional (not omni-directional) wi-fi booster to strengthen the signal, as well as clear line-of-sight between both houses. Once you get the signal to one of your computers it's easy enough to share it with the other one over the network. But the hardware needed will cost you hundreds. Doing it with a cable connection instead would cost even more, as it's too far to use standard CAT6 ethernet cable, you'd have to use fibre.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice