1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Info On Mainframe

Discussion in 'Software Development' started by n_joy_864, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. n_joy_864

n_joy_864 Thread Starter

hi, i am going to take a course in MAINFRAME. can any1 tell me what will be tought and what are the subjects in this course :confused: . also plz tell me what are the things(like sql, cobol etc)i should know to do better.
    thnx in advance:D

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi n_joy_864,

I've already worked with a mainframe BULL DPS 9000 running GCOS8. There are a lot of stuff to learn.
    I don't think you'll have to learn about BULL but it's not impossible you will have some training about the IBM mainframes as they are the more used in the world.
    Just have a browse of this website to get some ideas.

3. n_joy_864

n_joy_864 Thread Starter

thnx chicon. ya its ibm mainframe i will be working on.but can u plz suggest me wat i shd do beforehand 2 make myself prepared.

4. Chicon

Chicon

Unfortunately, I can't tell you any thing about IBM mainframes. Mainframes have their specificity that make them unique. You don't have to worry : you'll certainly learn the generalities : the OS, the data storage, the way to develop and run programs, the procedure language to launch activities.
    The first time I had to work on a Bull I didn't know nothing about it, at that time, I was working on a Wang VS which is a completely different machine. My manager sent me to attend some training on Bull and a week later, I was already working with a lot of books beside me. ;)

5. n_joy_864

n_joy_864 Thread Starter

hahahaha..thnx a lot Chicon,you boost my morale.

6. Chicon

Chicon

You're welcome ! :)

7. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Be prepared to be shocked because nothing you learned on a PC relates to what we do on the mainframe. It is like starting from scratch. I spent 7 years on a mainframe and then left this company for two years. I came back and they upgraded to a new OS and I forgot just about everything I had learned before.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice