1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Info transferring from HD to HD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PCMan78, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. PCMan78

PCMan78 Thread Starter

If I am a technician going to people's house and they ask me to transfer some file from a computer to another computer, what is the easiest way for me to do that. I was thinking about buying a firewire/USB 2.0 120GB Hard Drive and using that to do the job. I thought that a External CD Burner would be too much trouble b/c I think that you have to install a program before you burn the CD. Too much hassle. Maybe you guys know something that would work. Thanks!

2. rmay635703

rmay635703

You got it, if you have the dough and they have usb go for the external USB HD.

Zip drive, ditto drives, and everything else as you guessed needs a driver.

When I do it, I usually take their hd out and transfer it direct, but not everyone likes you doing a 5minute tear down :)

Cheers

3. figurewood

figurewood

4. brite750

brite750

You could do it this way also;

CompilierXP stated this:

About xfering your files from OLD to NEW... There are some programs with cables out on the market for this...

Or, you can PULL your HD out of your OLD system and stick it into the NEW system - just long enough to xfer the files over.

1 - open the cases, touch power supply to reduce static discharge (power off of course) and unplugged.
    2 - Unplug the DATA cable for the cd-rom drives from the motherboard.
    3 - plug in OLD drive where the CD-ROM drives used to be using the original data vable. Use power from one of the CD-ROM to power HD.
    4 - power up - go into Windows, create a folder called OLD STUFF (or whatever) and copy ALL the data you want to that folder).
    5 - when done, power down, unplug your OLD HD, reattach the cables for the Optical drives. attach cover and power up.

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

A USB to USB laplink cable, these come with software on a single floppy disk for older versions of Windows, would work well very easily.

No surgery, a simple plug in.

Or even a USB pen hard disk, these now run to 2gb

Again, no surgery, a simple plug and pray.

Even a parallel, not USB, zip drive could work, 100 mb

Again no surgery.

hth

Ceri

6. djrock

djrock

Hello the laplink kit is easy to use, cheaper than a 120gb usb 2 hard drive and an easy way to transfer data between system. I think with the laplink kit you get a cable for older system without usb. A parallel cable i think.

I would buy the laplink kit if i needed to transfer data from an old system to a new system for customers.

djrock

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice