1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Infor on a compatible hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MPeg3, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I want to install another hard drive in my computer. Gateway won't give me any info on third party hardware. After replacing my video card with a $60 video card which works great after Gateway advised me to order their $299 card as the replacement, I am hesitant to take their advice anyway.

Can anyone tell me if this hard drive would work in my computer. I have a Gateway GT5220 computer. The current hard drive is found at this URL http://support.gateway.com/s/HARDDRV/Westernd/5508836R/5508836Rsp2.shtml

One they recommend is Western Digital Gateway Certified (WD800JD) 80GB

One I am looking at and want to know if it will work is here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106 Am I right in thinking this is the same hard drive as their certified one?

Thanks
    Peg

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It should work, according to Gateway specs your old drive is PATA not SATA but the computer does seem to also support SATA drives as well.

Why only an 80GB drive though?

There's lots of WD800JD with a wide range of differences. They just want you to buy from them, and it makes it easier for them to support you.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

Well, yeah, it will work.

Here is the spec sheet for your motherboard: http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Shared/4006136R/4006136Rsp2.shtml

It has four SATA ports on the board. That's good. They shipped it to you with an IDE drive. Not as good.

But you can certainly use that hard drive. It plugs in much differently than the drive you already have. It does use a different plug from the power supply, however. The Gateway site doesn't really show if you have SATA power connectors on your power supply, so I'd advise either:

1) Get the SATA drive and find a 4-pin to SATA adaptor, or:

2) Get another IDE drive and set it up as a slave drive.

You can find out if you have SATA connectors on your power supply by looking at the free connectors. You're looking for the black end of this adaptor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812104652

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Oh, you probably don't have any SATA cables so buy one of those too.

5. telegramsam

telegramsam

Ah yes. OEM drive is the drive itself wrapped in bubble wrap.

So don't forget that!

6. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I don't really need 80GB as I'm sure 40GB would do the trick. But I'm finding new 40GB drives are going for between $40 and $45 (with shipping) on ebay and I can get an 80GB at Newegg for less than $50 which also includes the shipping. Seems like the best way to go. What I want to do is partition my hard drive, but my recovery disks won't allow for it. I plan to install the 80GB as the master and set my 235GB main drive as slave. That way I can reinstall my OS to the 80GB and partition my larger drive. I mainly want all my photos and documents on a different drive than my OS is on, as well as to be able to back up my husbands computer files to a partition on mine. Sound doable?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

I've never heard anyone say, "Gee, I wish I had purchased a smaller hard drive." Get the largest one available that you can afford and has a good price point.

8. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

Actually, I don't even know why I tacked the question on. I know for a fact that it is doable. I've done it. My old computer was a 200GB and SONY, of course, wouldn't let me partition it either. I had a 40GB hard drive, so I installed it as master and set the 200GB one to slave. I then installed the origional software and it installed to the 40GB just fine. Then from windows, I set up partitions on the larger drive. Worked great. I don't know why they are so stinky about letting us have control of our own computers. Very frustrating.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice