Information About MSI

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

kavithak

Hi,

I am doing a investigation about windows installers.

My situation : Say, a Product A is supposed to be installed in the system and its done through an installer. Now if this installer installs Product B and Product C as part of the installation. I want to relate that Product B and C were installed as part of Product A.

How can I solve this?

thanks,
Kavitha

I am no expert on this, but I think what you'll find is that installers are responsible for the content they install. However, if another installer is called during an installation, that install is considered its own install. This, however may be subject to change through naming conventions or by running scripts during the installation.

Hope this helped

calvin-c

Banned
Relate how? If you know that Installer A will install B & C then disclose that on the confirmation screen for A. If it's optional/conditional you can either disclose the optional install (i.e. "will install B & C if needed") or have secondary confirmation screens for those.

kavithak

I am no expert on this, but I think what you'll find is that installers are responsible for the content they install. However, if another installer is called during an installation, that install is considered its own install. This, however may be subject to change through naming conventions or by running scripts during the installation.

Hope this helped
@DaBeers :
That was a great thought. Yes of course, another install is considered its own install. I wanted to know if the information of the sub-installer is stored in the main installer. Thanks anyways.

kavithak

Relate how? If you know that Installer A will install B & C then disclose that on the confirmation screen for A. If it's optional/conditional you can either disclose the optional install (i.e. "will install B & C if needed") or have secondary confirmation screens for those.
Thanks Calvin. But I want to establish the relationship programmatically for every product installed in my system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online