1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Information on EIDE to SATA Converter.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deathblow, Dec 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

My latest system has 2 SATA and 2 EIDE channels, but I currently have 3 EIDE drives that I want to use in it. I am looking for any information on someone with knowledge or experience in using a converter to connect a EIDE drive to a SATA cable. I have heard that the technololgy might not be reliable.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I have such a connection, AFAIK, there's nothing unreliable about it. I got the adapter free with my ABIT motherboard, and I'm using it in another system, works fine.

I will point out that the converter I got somewhat limits the speed of the hard disk for maximum speed transfers. I have a drive that clocks in at 55mbyte/sec read rates when I run it on an IDE connection, and the SATA<->IDE adapter limits it to 40mbyte/sec. Since I use it as a backup drive for my RAID array, it's not really an issue, but just thought I'd mention that. It's run quite reliable otherwise, just a bit slower than a real SATA drive would be.

3. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

They are also very hard to find now, I might add. To my knowledge nobody makes them anymore, as they were just made by a couple of manufacturers to aid in the transition to SATA.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Originally there were some issues with data corruption with certain drives on certain motherboards. Pretty sure it was on Nforce2 based systems with only Western Digital or Samsung drives but more cases may indeed exist.

5. JohnWill

Interesting, I guess I dodged those issues. :)

6. Rukee

Rukee Banned

I have a few of those crazy things somewhere in the spare parts box, never used one myself.
    In any case, if all you have is three devices you should be able to put two drives on one IDE channel and a single drive on the second IDE cable.

7. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

Ok, maybe I misused the term when I said I had 2 of each channels, I have 1 cable for EIDE, and one cable for SATA. I can only have 2 of each type of drive. Currently I only have my burner and not my normal DVD drive hooked up as my old EIDE drive is on the cable with burner. If speed is an issue, I could possibly put the DVD drive on the SATA channel to maintain full speed with the EIDE HD.

Now the other problem is, I've been checking around, and nobody seems to carry these things. When I bought the system, I was aware of this issue, and the salesman assured me that they carry them, but just didn't have any in-stock and I could get one from their web site. Well, he lied. I've tried several other stores, as well as the local computer show, and again, nobody carried this hardware. Does anyone have a link to a reliable source?

8. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

go to pricewatch.com and search for sata to ide
    thiers couple places have them but thier not cheap at all i got 1 here i use they work good for me.

9. JohnWill

10. Rukee

Rukee Banned

$25.00 each??
    I might be sitting on a Gold Mine! :eek:

11. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

ya thier not cheap ididnt know trhey cost this much lol its cheaper to buy a pci ide 133 card and just connect stuff to it.

12. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

I had one of those, and had tried that, but because of the Bios only supports 2 ide devices, it wouldn't work.

13. Deathblow

Deathblow Thread Starter

14. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

first one is wat i use but its made by abit.

15. JohnWill

I also have the one that came with my ABIT MB.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice