1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Information on increasing RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Brigham, Jan 10, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18362, Installed 20191216155443.000000+000
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3, CPU Count: 4
    Total Physical RAM: 4 GB
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 530, 1024 MB
    Hard Drives: C: 930 GB (881 GB Free);
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-P, ver Rev X.0x, s/n 160778395309055
    System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n System Serial Number
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

I was advised to increase my RAM and never got round to it. I thought I would do so now. I do not know what I need to purchase. Could someone in the know tell me what I need? Is system info enough to advise me?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This motherboard will support up to 64GB of RAM, so you have a lot of latitude afforded to you. To make things easier for people, I always recommend going to the Crucial website and click on the Scan computer icon to have it check the board and offer recommendations for purchases. You don't necessarily have to buy from Crucial, of course. Just make careful not of the DIMMs information and check out the best prices.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

As long as you don't intend to do any hardcore gaming with it, you have a computer with decent specs.
    You definitely are handicapping its performance and speed by having only 4 GB of RAM in it.
    Increasing the amount to 16 GB should be sufficient.
    Adding more than that is a waste of money and won't improve performance and speed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you go to the support page for your board;
    https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-P/
    Click on support>cpu/memory support. This will show you memory that has been tested and found to work. Just because a memory chip is not on the list does not mean it will not work; it means it was never tested and found to work.
    With an asus board [intel chipset] you are generally fine as long as you stick to name brand memory ie corsair, crucial, etc. As Frank says, install a 2x8 set of memory and you should be fine. Here is an example of what you need; note just an example.
    https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820233859

5. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    Thank you lochlomonder and flavallee. Extra RAM ordered.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome.
    Good luck with the new RAM.
    (y)

7. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    I finally got round to increasing my RAM. I let crucial scan my computer and recommend. I bought the recommended memory and installed it. I just added two RAM boards to the existing one and the on/off button light did not come on. I then went back to the original. Everything worked. I then tried the two new RAMs at the other end of the row. The computer worked, but I didn't know if this was the new RAMs working.
    I then downloaded "speccy" and in the RAM page the new RAMs were not recognised. Any Ideas?

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't describe the new RAM modules you installed, so that makes it difficult for us to determine why you're having issues with them.

Which one of these 4 DIMM slots did you install those new RAM modules in?

Capture.JPG

-------------------------------------------------------------

9. zebanovich

zebanovich

You said nothing about your new RAM modules?

1. old RAM modules should be removed and not used with new ones
    2. new RAM modules should not be 3 or 4 channel (max 2) (limited by CPU)
    3. new RAM modules should not be DDR3 (only DDR4 or DDR3L compatible for DDR3) (limited by CPU)
    4. new RAM modules must not be ECC. (Error-correcting code memory)

To find out this info, you can use CPU-Z or look at module specification.

10. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    8GB KIT DDR4 2400 UDIMM 1.2V cl17 I didn't know that the old RAM should be removed and not used with the old one. With regards to the slots the existing RAM is in the far left slot. I tried to use the one next to it and then the two on the far right. I just thought that to increase the RAM just required adding more. I will have a go tomorrow by removing the old RAM and installing the two new ones in the two left hand ones (in your picture flavallee) I will check with you two helpers before starting.

11. zebanovich

zebanovich

You can use old RAM modules, if they are same CL, same frequency, same size (GB per module) and same channel count,
    but this is still not guaranteed that they will work together.

More info is needed about your RAM modules if removing old modules doesn't work.
    specifically, ECC stat and channel count.

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Put the new ram into the 2 lighter grey sockets, leaving the old ram out for now. Any change ?

13. Brigham

Brigham Thread Starter

First Name:
    John
    I think I will opt out of increasing the RAM on this computer. I took out the existing 4 Gb and tried the new ones no matter where I put them there was no sign of them working. The RAM I took out had this info on it.

Vengeance LPX DDR4 Gb CMK4GX4M1A200C14

2400MHz 14-16-16-31 164004494918189

1.20v ver 3.20

I decided to put the existing one back but I had a scare. Nothing worked. I then realised that lots of things I needed were reliant on me having a working computer. I managed to get it working. The original RAM wasn't seated properly.
    I think I will write off the RAM I bought, to experience. Thanks to all who tried to help me.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!