1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Infuriating internet problems

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pstil, Sep 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

Good evening everybody.

Right, here goes. I have an Advent 7105 laptop with Windows XP which I bought in October 2006 when I started university. For the next year and a half or so it worked absolutely fine. I used the internet both via the Ethernet cable and via wireless both up in Edinburgh and at home in London and never had a problem.

This August I came to Philadelphia to study for a year and the problems began. Firstly, the wireless component. My laptop clearly recognises which networks are available (including the university one) but every time I click on it to connect it fails to do so.

That would not be a problem if the ethernet component worked as I rarely take my laptop outside my room. Unfortunately, no luck there either with the message, "A network cable has been unplugged" coming up every few seconds before it tries to connect again before failing again. I have tried it with different wires and in different places but still no luck.

The strangest thing is that for the first day (and for half an hour a couple of days ago), the internet worked absolutely fine. Apart from that, it has been impossible. I've tried loads of troubleshooting, etc. but no luck.

I would really really appreciate somebodies help.

Thanks,
    Peter.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Try the following repairs. If they don't fix the problem it could be a firewall (security suite) issue.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

thanks but unfortunately still no luck.the wireless internet light just keeps flashing...any other ideas?

4. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

I have also rebooted the whole system but same problem arises, albeit it worked for half an hour after being rebooted.

Everything else works absolutely fine so are there any other solutions?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Working for a period of time, sounds like either hardware going or perhaps malware. Have you done virus and spyware scans?

6. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

Yeah, I've done virus checks and its clear...
    It was working just now actually with the ethernet cable and then i moved the laptop and it stopped working...came up with the same old message. Tried to rejig the wire again but no luck. Does that help with getting to the root of the problem?

7. JohnWill

You moved the laptop and a wired connection stopped working? Did you disconnect the connection, or just move it a foot or two?

8. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

No, didn't unplug it. Literally shifted it a few inches and the connection fell...help!

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like a cable, but since you've apparently tried several it could be the port is bad--doesn't make a secure connection.

10. JohnWill

That's my reading as well. This is a hardware issue, not a software one. There's no way the software knows that you moved the computer a foot!

11. pstil

pstil Thread Starter

right, thanks so much for the quick and helpful replies.

If it is a hardware issue, is there anything I can do to sort it out or will I need a whole new laptop? As I'm on a student budget, the cheaper the fix, the better. As long as it actually fixes it obviously...

One more point of information-yesterday evening it was working again on wireless but only on the Guest connection and it was "Very weak" even though my room is right next to the main modem...and I had to keep disabling it and re-enabling it every half an hour or so as the connection kept dropping

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Determine if it's the cable or the port. If it's the cable, replace the cable. If it's the port the least expensive thing is probably to get a PCMCIA (or ExpressCard, depending on your laptop) or USB (less desirable) ethernet adapter.

I'm guessing that you're talking about an integrated (internal) wireless adapter. If you are getting a weak signal when you are guessing it should be strong that tells us nothing. If you are getting a weak signal when you know it is strong that is an indication that the antenna leads are loose, the adapter is loose or the adapter is failing. For looseness you can unplug the laptop, remove the battery, remove the cover on the bottom, and check the antenna leads and the adapter.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752473

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice