1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Infuriating machine

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j_hippy, Oct 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j_hippy

j_hippy Thread Starter

Hi posted a thread before but didn't really get anywhere. I appreciate a lot of people may have listed similar problems to this already, but mine differs slightly.

We recently got an external ADSL modem (connected to the computer via USB port). It didn't work at all. The modem status was constantly 'No signal', like it wasn't connecting to anything at all.

Strangely, whenever you start using Windows Media Player to play music, or run a DVD the modem starts flickering and eventually kicks in permanently so you can connect to the internet.

So it's like a hardware sharing conflict except the modem actually requires media player to run (or as I prefer to say, "It's powered by funk".)

Any ideas? Our modem literally won't work without the all-healing power of music!

Our spec is
    AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1.40ghz processor .
    768MB RAM.
    80gb hard disk space.
    voodoo 3 graphics card.
    CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device
    Motherboard - 7VTXE. Manufacturer = gigabyte technology
    We are running Windows XP

Sound card is in PCI slot 3, IRQ 19. Sorry to say I don't know the location of the modem as it's plugged into the USB. On 'Device Manager' it just says 'Location: 0'.

There are 2 USB slots in the back of the computer. Only one filled.

On 'Device Manager' under the 'Universal Serial bus Controllers' category, there are 3 'USB Root Hub' subcategories and 3 labelled 'Via Rev 5 or later USB Hos Controller'. These 3 'Via Rev 5 or later USB Hos Controller' are on IRQ 9 if you go to System information, and in Device Manager say, PCI Bus 0, Device 17.
    We were told we needed to change the assignment of the IRQs in the Bios menu, but when I go onto the BIOS menu and select PCI configuration I don't get any of the options to change the IRQ settings. It just says VGA Boot: AGP, then PCI slots 1-4 IRQ Priority: Auto, then IRQ slot 3,4,5,7,9,10,11,14,15 set to PCI/PnP. You can change this option to ISA/EISA. don't know if I'm looking in the right menu, have tried other options in the BIOS screen but still can't find the anything to change the IRQs. Also when the computer loads up, on the black screen before you get to Windows it says both Multimedia slot and USB slots are assigned IRQ10. Don't know if this helps, I'm not a techie person at all!!
    It's nothing to do with the modem 'warming up' as I've had this on other computers. If you don't play a music file, the modem just stays on training mode forever...

Ta for any help

2. hrtbob

hrtbob

does the modem come with an ethernet port? if so try that out, not only will it free up a usb port but will save some power too...

kudos for this though:
    when you say "had this on other computers" do you mean the modem or the problem? have you looked under the resources tab in device manager for the multimedia device to check for conflicts there?

regards,
    Hrtbob

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I would have to say the modem isn't connecting until Media player turns it on to access the internet.
    As far as how to use your DSL modem, not sure since I didn't see what modem you are using.

4. j_hippy

j_hippy Thread Starter

When I say had this on other computers I mean the phenomenon of having to wait about a minute for the modem to warm up. So I know it's a bit more serious than that!

We're using a Voyager 105 modem. We looked in Device manager, no conflicts as far as I can see there so looked in system information under conflicts / sharing. Got the below information.

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
    I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF 3dfx Voodoo3

IRQ 9 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    IRQ 9 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF 3dfx Voodoo3

I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB VIA Tech CPU to AGP Controller
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB 3dfx Voodoo3

Any help?!

5. hrtbob

hrtbob

sorry this is outta my league, I wish yo good luck and hope someone appears for you soon... :) (y)

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    do you turn your modem off each time you shut down your computer? I always left mine on even when the computer was turned off. Unless I ws going to be away from the computer for the entire day (as in more than 8 hours) Of course I never connected using gthe USB port. It is recommended that if you have ethernet ports that you connect yor broadband modems via eithernet rather than USB anyway.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Okay, I just did some digging. If i read the manual for your motherboard right you donthave an onboard ethernet port. If this is so, you can purchase a Network Interface Card (NIC) for around $20. if you can spring for this, try connecting your dsl modem though a NIC instead of through USB.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/404450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice