1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Init 3 locks up my computer?!

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Xephar, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

I've been trying to install the Nvidia drivers on my computer and it asks me to exit out of X. So I open up a console with CTRL+ALT+F2 or CTRL+ALT+SHIFT which ever one. ( can't remember now, :eek: ) But when ever I type in "init 3" The screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back with a few things scrolling down going [ OK ] But then it gets to :

starting anacron [ OK ] and then it just stays there, almost like my system is completely locked up. When I press ctrl+alt+delete though it says "going in to run mode 6" or something like that and starts its shutdown procedure, so its apparently not completely locked up. It won't let me get to the command line though, is there anything I am doing wrong or anything I can do to fix this?

2. lynch

lynch

Did you login as root before you did the init 3?
    lynch

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Edit your inittab file manually to boot into run level 3, then reboot your computer.

4. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

How do I tell it to boot up into 3? Where is the inittab file?

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

6. Xephar

Xephar Thread Starter

Haha, awesome, thanks! Like i've said numerous times in previous posts I am a total noob to linux. So please if I ask any dumb questions just give me what ever dumb answer it needs, but I really am enjoying learning Linux even if I am somewhat on my own here. So far this place has been my only place to look for support. So again to everyone who's helped me so far: A million thanks!

Max

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice