1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Init modem string for lucent WinModem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by dino9001, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dino9001

dino9001 Thread Starter

Is there any certain string I can use to stay connected at a decent dial-up speed?
    Thanks!

2. 911

I think it may depend on the ISP rather than the modem. When I was using JUNO, it kicked me off any time I went more than a few minutes without some 'activity'. I found a partial solution by clicking on an internet site like MSNBC or NPR which broadcast news or music. This fooled the JUNO timer into thinking I was browsing when I was actually just reading my Email. If the sound got annoying, I just muted it. It wasn't perfect. but it extended the time between disconnects. ---911

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Dino9001:

If you're using a Lucent Win modem, the most current modem driver for it(8.30) is located here. I used it in the Lucent Win modem in my HP Pavilion 8160 with no problem. It'll overwrite and install over the older version during the install process. Install it at your own risk.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to do some serious tweaking of your 56K dial-up connection, click the link below and read the article on 56K tweaks and fixes.

Regardless of how much tweaking you do, and as long as you have good phone line quality in your neighborhood, don't expect much more than a 44,000 - 48,000 bps connection speed.

Sometimes, one local access number will give you a better connection speed than another local access number. If your ISP has more than one local access number, try them out.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325475

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice