1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

.ink extension

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tuppence2, Aug 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm running Windows 2000 and sometime during the past couple of months the extension .ink has appeared.

For example, on the desktop I have a folder "Shortcut to Rotas" showing as
    "Shortcut to Rotas.ink".

Under "Start", there is:

Windows Update.ink
    Set Program Access and Defaults.ink

Under "Programs", there is:

Yahoo Messenger.ink
    Acrobat Reader 5.0.ink
    Digiguide.ink
    Windows Media Player.ink

and so on.

I would be interested in any ideas you might have as to why this is happening.

Thank you.

Bye,
    Penny. :)

2. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

The .ink extension is actually .lnk (LNK)...short for "link". It's the normal extension for shortcuts.

3. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello brushmaster,

Thanks for the information. It is appearing after items that aren't shortcuts. The odd thing is that it suddenly appeared where it hadn't been before.

Bye.
    Penny.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are many tweaking programs that have a setting for showiing all file types. That includes the lnk extension. If you have used one of those, look in its settings. If not, I'll look in one of mine to find out how to reverse the setting.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've prepared a reg file for you (assuming XP) that will reverse the changes made by the tweaker (if any). You may still want to look for the reason for the change since other file endings you don't want to see may show up, too.

Just unzip this zip file, right-click on the reg file and choose "Merge".

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/LnkNoShow.zip

(Not sure if it will require a reboot, but probably.)

6. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello Elvandil,

That is very kind of you. I'm using Windows 2000, but presume the reg file will operate with that system.

I did use the XTeq tweaker.

I give it a go now and let you know.

Bye,
    Penny.

7. Tuppence2

Tuppence2 Thread Starter

Hello again Elvandil,

Excellent! The addition to the registry worked and the .ink extension has disappared. Can't see any other problems as yet.

Thank you again.

Bye,
    Penny. :)

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

No problem. The registries of 2k and XP are virtually identical in the majority of areas. Thank you for the followup.

For your information, in my version of X-Setup, under Appearance > Files & Folders > Files is an entry entitled "Show/Hide File Extensions". The lnk file is in the list, along with many other extensions not usually seen. If any other strange ones appear, you can reverse the changes there. My version is the latest of the Pro version (6.5 or something).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/267331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice