1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ink jet cartridges

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ijusth, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

ok how do they know when they are empty (page counts, ink level etc.)

if you refill a cartridge and it doesn't get filled to what the manufacturer considers "full" wouldn't this effect the sensor? I just had a cartridge act like it was empty (cleaning and priming didn't solve the banding) - and this was a cartridge I had filled from before. I injected ink and the printing was fine. I can't say how many CCs got into it but I did 2 injections. Perhaps 10-20 pages got printed and suddenly to low ink indicator is flashing (Epson 440 for those who care). I don't know if this is accurate or whatever ...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Some of the newer ink cartridges have a memory of usage to disallow refilling. I guess they're getting tired of people not buying new ones. :)

3. KeithKman

KeithKman

Try taking out the cartridge and turning off the printer. Put the cartridge back and and turn on the printer and see if that works.

4. slipe

slipe

I don’t think the Epson 440 stops printing when the chip says it is empty like newer models, but it still tracks usage to determine ink level. HP tracks usage as well. Some of the newer Canons actually measure ink levels.

I had one HP that showed empty for a year because I refilled the same black cartridge. There is a trick with HP to reset the ink level but I haven’t read of one with Epsons unless KeithKman’s trick works. Get back if it does.

5. ijusth

ijusth Thread Starter

ohh I know for a fact I can remove and replace and printer is too dumb to know ... I follow directions as if replacing an empty and it believes ya

don't know why it sees it as being empty or low

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167091

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice