1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ink jet printer that does booklet printing.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andynic, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi,
    At the moment I have a Canon IP4200 inkjet printer which I use both with Mac OS X and Windows XP.

I especially like the driver that Canon supplies for XP.

Among a lot of other features, the driver prints documents in book form. That is, for example, it will take a 20 page document, and print it like a book on 5 sheets of A4, (double sided printing) so that when you fold the resulting stack in half you get a booklet. No fuss no muss. The pagination is exactly as it ought to be, all automatically, and no need to mess with the paper (i.e. no need to turn sheets upside down and the like).

Unfortunately it is seems to be giving up the ghost, and I will need to get a new one.

Does anyone now other brands/models that do the same? I'd be especially interested in one that doubles as a scanner as well.

Thanks for your interest,
    Andynic

2. pip22

pip22

I would stay with the Canon brand, my iP4200 has been totally reliable, and still is.

A previous Epson ended up in the skip because ink blockages could not be cleared by any means known to man, despite my printing a five-colour bar-chart on it every couple of days to keep the ink flowing.

HP printers - I don't like their 180-degree paper-feed system which cracks the coating on photo paper.

Lexmark printers - no good for quality photo printing.

Visit the Canon website and see what they have.

3. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Hi Pip22,

I have a suspicion that you are right.

Unfortunately the ip4200 is no longer sold as far as I can tell (at least in stores in The Netherlands -- where I live) and I'm not sure what the drivers are like that come with other Canon models. (I once wrote to Canon to ask if they had a driver for the Mac that offered the features of the driver for XP and they wrote back that they don't; so who knows what their other drivers might be like.)

Must first try fiddling with the cartridges. Since I replaced them, I am getting either a print-head error or an error indicating a problem with one of the new cartridges -- ones that are very inexpensive but which require transferring the chip from the old one to the new -- which I've done a number of times without a problem. (It amazes me that the Canon replacements are almost as much as the printer itself had cost!)

In any case, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Andynic

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Check Xerox. They spent a ton in R&D for color printers/copiers. I can't remember the model numbers offhand (which is a real shame since i used to work with Xerox :eek:) but I think there is one out there that would meet your needs

5. andynic

andynic Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, Couriant. Will check Xerox out.
    Andynic

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    The Phaser 6500DN is a really good product, but I would recommend to check with Xerox if you can find someone nearby before so you can check the quality and if it's good for you. Note that Xerox doesn't do consumer level printers, the lowest is small businesses, but right now Xerox has the printer for $399 after $100 rebate.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice