1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ink Refill Difficulty

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SpaceInvader75, Feb 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SpaceInvader75

SpaceInvader75 Thread Starter

So I bought a Canon Pixma MG2922 ink jet all in one. It works pretty well for a cheap printer, but the ink is expensive (as usual). I've started trying to refill ink for the first time. I ordered a large refill kit for $16 online. It looks like enough to refill my printer more than my printer will last!

When I refill the black a couple of times it worked fine. Only the third time I think something may have got clogged, because the printer started printing blank pages. Then I put more ink it it, but I noticed the cartridge was not all the way empty. It was printing but it didn't look right, so I switched to an old cartridge and refilled that one instead.

I've had more difficulty with the color. The first time it just wouldn't print the right colors. And I'm not talking about a slight variation; I wouldn't even mind that for what I'm printing. I think something is clogged or maybe there is air in it. I got it to work the first time, but I don't know how many times I ran the cleaning cycle, and printed a bunch of pages that looked horrible.
    So, once it started working, it went along fine for a while, and then I think some of the ink ran out. I refilled the color and now I'm having problems again. It looks like no Cyan is coming out this time.

If I need to purge the ink manually, I think I would need a special vacuum tool, but it didn't come with my refill kit. I saw a kit with the tool, but it costs $50, and I already have plenty of ink. The only other thing I can think of is cleaning the bottom with alcohol, but the openings are very small, so I'm not sure that wiping the outside is going to do much.

Any suggestions would be good. I tried to buy third party ink, but I couldn't find it for my printer.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Buy a new set of Canon cartridges and test. That will confirm an ink/cartridge problem or a print head problem.

Based on what you are describing, I'd say the print head is clogged. Which is one of the major reasons for not using generic ink.

I use aftermarket cartridges, which are generally much cheaper than Canon catridges and I rotate in Canon cartridges every 2nd or third change.

3. PSCO2007

PSCO2007

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

Modern printers have microchips that prevent refilled cartridges from working well. If you're having problems with a refilled cartridge, the printer may be damaged. The ink is expensive because the printer is cheap. It's the same principle that applies to things like razors.

5. SpaceInvader75

Whenever the printer has started printing incorrectly, it was always right after I changed the ink. Or else, if it looked like it was low on ink (it could have been the printer) the problem became even worse after I changed the cartridge. I looked up a video on how to clean the print head, and it looks like the print head is built into the bottom of the cartridge (at least according to the video). But soaking it in a mixture of alcohol and water for a few minutes did not fix the problem.

I need to start printing today, so I don't have much choice but to buy a color cartridge, unless it costs as much as the printer, (it was only $50) then I'll just buy another printer I suppose.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Canon PIXMA MG2922 Wireless Inkjet All-In-One sells for about $49.00 at "Walmart".

It uses PG-245 black and CL-246 color cartridges which sells for about $34.00 for the black/color twin pack.

--------------------------------------------------------

7. SpaceInvader75

My first mistake was buying this printer at Walmart. It's inconvenient to have to go walk through a huge store, every time I need one or two things. I went there today, because I can't find my ink at Office Depot or InkSell, and the color cartridge by itself is $22. But I never bought it because the associate has to help you unlock the case, and he said he would be with me in a minute. I waited a couple of minutes, and then I saw him taking things out of a cart and putting them back on the shelf! So I left the store; I don't have time to waste standing around in Walmart. I wanted the ink today, but I think I am just going to order it.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    All the "Walmart SuperCenter" stores in my area keep the ink cartridges on display hooks so you can help yourself to what you need.

If I need anything computer-related, I head for the electronic department first before heading for the grocery department.

----------------------------------------------------------

9. SpaceInvader75

I went back to WalMart again, because I needed a couple of other things that I forgot about. I had to wait a while for electronics, but now that I have some ink I could always order a third party ink before my current ink runs out. Well, I have a whole bunch of ink, just having problems refilling color.

As I suspected, printer prints fine when the Canon cartridge was inserted. I tried cleaning the other cartridge again, and when I press it against a paper towel, it looks like the cyan is not coming out. There are 3 little slots on the bottom, but when you look at the paper towel you can only see red and yellow, no cyan. I'm not sure what happened though, but I had problems the last time I refilled the color cartridge as well. At least last time it worked eventually.

10. SpaceInvader75

I think I have confirmed, by inspection, that the cartridge is also the print head, because there's nothing underneath the cartridge between it and the paper. I don't know whether this is good or bad for refilling.

11. SpaceInvader75

That Carrot Ink vendor has my cartridge listed for the same price as the original Canon ink! So I obviously won't be shopping there. Maybe I can find another third party ink source for my printer. I called InkSell again, and they still don't have it. I'm considering buying the $50 refill kit that has the tool to purge the ink. It's a gamble, but might be my only other chance at not paying full price for my ink at this time.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!