1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Input signal out of range?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Karnov, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Karnov

Karnov Thread Starter

K please someone help me on this: recently when I have tried to adjust my display settings (on control panel display and settings and screen resolution) the lowest which I am used to doing, my screen has gone black when I have applied it which is normal but then it comes up "input signal out of range" this is the first time it has ever done this for me when applying another screen resolution. Usually its never a problem and because of this I cannot seem to run any games, my screen just flashes briefly when I open them and nothing happens. I have I done a windows reinstall but it did not change anything.

Can anyone help me out here? anyone else suddenly gotten this when they have messed around with display screen resolutions? what on earth is it and how can I rectify it. Thanks.

2. Karnov

Karnov Thread Starter

Pls someone help.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The message is being displayed by the monitor's internal controller. It is telling you that it does not support the timing of the video signals being fed to it. The timing is dependent on the frame refresh rate, the number of vertical pixels and the number of horizontal pixels you have set up on the computer's video controller.

If you are getting the message for a given horizontal and vertical resolution that has worked on the monitor in the past, you may have the frame refresh rate set too high on the computer.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It usually means the resolution is set too high(or not supported) or the refresh rate is set too high.

5. Karnov

Karnov Thread Starter

Pls can anyone tell me a solution to this? Thx.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Boot into safe mode and change the refresh rate and resolution
    Start at 800x600 @60Hz.
    Reboot into normal Windows and try changing it a little at a time.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice