1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Input Wanted: Shopping Cart / E-Commerce

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by tabspace, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

I am about to start developing a website that will need a shopping card to add products to and check out. I know there are lots of options out there - some free, some cheap, and some very expensive. I am looking for some input as to some options I should look into. Below is my criteria.

1. Should be able to integrate very well within a site. I don't mind if it says "powered by whatever cart", but should not be overwhelming to the shopper

2. Should be able to have discount codes and be able to do automatic discounts if criteria is met. For instance, if we have a special saying "buy 2 get 1 free" or "get $5 off of $20 or more". If these cannot be built in automatically, we could just have a promo code that would apply these, but would make it more difficult for the shopper.

3. Should be fairly easy to configure. I have a strong understanding of HTML, CSS, DHTML, and JavaScript and basic understanding of PHP. Also, one that comes with a manual or a good support forum would be great if no or limited manual is included.

4. Has a good track record as we don't want it crashing all of the time.

5. The products would be apparel, so we would need several options for size and possibly color - right now we only sell one color as it is a design not color.

6. Of course a free cart would be the best, but only if all of this is possible. If there are some low or medium priced carts out there that do this, please list them. If there is a high priced cart, but has lots and lots of configuration and manuals, then that also may be an option -- atleast later on down the road.

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks in advance,

Jason

2. Michael_C

Michael_C

are you planning on running this on a server tha tyou personally have control over and administrate? Or that you will pay someone else to administrate for you.

3. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

i will run this on a web server that i administrate. i am going to design the website and then maintain it.

My web host has a one click install for a shopping cart OS Commerce version 2.2 (http://www.oscommerce.com). I have not really looked into it though.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

5. covert215

covert215 Banned

wait a sec, you have a web server AND you have a web host?

6. tabspace

tabspace Thread Starter

i have a web host that i can adminstrat through the control panel. i do not have a local web server.

7. Michael_C

Michael_C

yea, id have to agree with squashman.. oscommerce may be more logical since they have a "one click install" for it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!