1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Insert Chart in Access Tabbed Form

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by trupple, Dec 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

I am trying to create a chart on a tabbed form. When I click on the Chart tool and then click on the tab to place it I get the Chart Wizard Dialog box. When it asks which table or query I'd like to use I'm clicking on Queries and choosing the query I want to use and I get an error message that reads:

The expression On Click you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: The function you entered can't be used in this expression.

*The expression may not result in the name of a macro, the name of a user-defined function, or [Event Procedure].
    *There may have been an error evaluating the function, event, or macro.

I'm following the directions in the Shelley Cashman Series Microsoft Access 2010 Comprehensive book and wonder why I don't get the next screen they show????

2. OBP

OBP

If you try and create a Chart Form using the Form wizard do you get the same result?

3. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

Yes, it does.

4. OBP

OBP

That sounds like the VBA reference library may need updating or more Access functions uploaded.
    If you press Alt + F11 it will open the VBA Editor, on the Main Menu>Tools>References you need to ensure that the
    Microsoft Access XXX Object Library
    and
    OLE Automation
    are both ticked.

5. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

I did the Alt F11 and clicked on Tools, but References is greyed out. I've contact our Help Desk and I don't know when they will get back to me. I'll save your reply and will get back to you when they get back to me?????

Thanks.

6. OBP

OBP

Did you do it with the actual database open?

7. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

Yes - and when my Help Desk called me we tried it in another database and it wasn't greyed out????? The database it doesn't work in was one I downloaded in classwork from the book series.

8. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

Because I'm not an instructor, I can't call them - I have to set up a case online. I did that and I'm waiting for a response. I gave them the initial error message I shared with you earlier.

9. OBP

OBP

Unfortunately I am not familiar with Access 2010.
    It is possible that the VBA Project is locked or password coded.
    It is also possible that it is greyed out because it has the Error message. have you checked the Security level of that database?
    Try setting it to it's lowest level to enable macros and VBA.

10. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

I just did a Compact & Repair on the database. Now References is NOT greyed out. The items you said should be checked are checked. I tried to paste a chart again and got the same error message.

11. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

As soon as I try to paste again as I did and I get the error message, when I go to VBA and Tools References is greyed out again?????

12. OBP

OBP

13. OBP

OBP

If you Compact & Repair and then try using the Chart Form Wizard do you still get the same error?
    Try creating a new completely blank database.
    Import everything from the problem one and then try introducing a chart in to the new one, in fact try it before importing frrom the problem database.

14. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

I compacted and repaired the database. I tried using Chart Form Wizard and got same error message.

I created a new database and imported all objects except the macro. I tried using Chart Form Wizard and got the same error message.

The folder the databases are in are also in Trusted Locations.

15. trupple

trupple Thread Starter

I just tried to insert a chart in another database I've been using for months and I get the same error message.

I've check the References through VBA and the ones you want checked are checked.

I'm going to try this process on my home pc with Windows 7 and Access 2010 and see if I get the same problem. I'll let you know.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!