1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inserted Symbols in Word 2007 disappeared

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by gfs247, Dec 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gfs247

gfs247 Thread Starter

Inserted symbols in Word 2007 (the fractions 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, etc) were reading correctly a week ago. When I bring the files back now, the symbols are gone (replaced with little rectangles). Other symbols, such as the one for degrees, are unaffected. Any ideas how to fix and prevent this from happening again?

I am using Windows 7 and Windows 8 on separate computers.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Dingbats font is not available in one or the other. I suspect Win 8

3. gfs247

gfs247 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, but I am just using the default font.

4. DaveBurnett

I would check that. Which Windows has it wrong?. Try a new document with those symbols in that one and, if it is OK transfer it to the other and check it.
    Are they the same version of Word? Is the default language the same, both in word AND Windows for both?

5. gfs247

gfs247 Thread Starter

The problem occurs on the same computer on which the documents were created. I'll try to explain again.

I created a document containing inserted symbols (1/4, 1/2, etc.). When I go back to the same document a week later on the same computer, the symbols are gone and are replaced with small rectangles. The computer involved has Windows 8 and Word 2007.

If I access that same document on a Windows 7 computer with Word 2007, the symbols are there where they were typed.

Thanks again for your efforts and time.

6. DaveBurnett

What happens if you start a new document on that machine containing those symbols?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!