1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inserting a gig of RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Statler, Oct 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Statler

Statler Thread Starter

Motherboard: ASUS A8N5X

I have two 512 MB sticks (DDR 400mhz) already installed on my pc. I just purchased a 1 GB stick (DDR 400) so I could play BF 2142 on a higher graphics setting. But one of my friends was telling me that I should buy two more 512 MB sticks of DDR RAM instead of the 1 GB stick, so it would fill up all of the slots (mobo has four 184-pin DDR DIMM sockets). Would my friend's configuration give better performance?

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

No, it won't perform better.

3. Statler

Statler Thread Starter

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Interesting info. Apparently it depends on what motherboard you have. For some, the performance is better. For others, it doesn't matter.

From the link you posted, it appears performance would be best with memory installed in matched pairs.

6. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Most modern boards support dual channel memory and matched pairs are required to utilize this in all cases. Max.

7. Statler

Statler Thread Starter

Does anyone know how big of a performance gain this would be if I went dual channel? If it's very small, then I'm just gonna shove the one gig stick in and maybe buy another 1 GB stick in a year or so.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually not true. Some intel boards will support dual channel with three mem chips inserted. You are correct in most instances, however not all.

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The performance difference would be something you would see on a benchmark, however real world I doubt you would see much difference.

10. maxibhoy

maxibhoy

Well you certainly learn something everyday. Be interested to know how that works. Must look into it.

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What happens is that the memory capacity must be equal so you could have 2X512 in slots 1 and 2 with 1 gig in slot 3. This would be an allowable config for dual channel. You could not put in 3X512 in slots 1, 2, and 3 and have it run DC.

12. Statler

Statler Thread Starter

Okay I think I'm just gonna go ahead and use the 1 gig stick than. Because I'm probably gonna add another gig soon anyway, something that I can't do with another pair of 512 MB RAM, unless of course I get rid of those and get them replaced eventually. But no.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!