1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inserting a Picture into Windows Mail

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by oldshakey, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oldshakey

oldshakey Thread Starter

I can Attach a picture to an outgoing email, but cannot find a way to insert one into the body of the email. I can Copy it from Windows Picture Gallery, but when I right click on the place in the email that I want the photo to go, the Paste option inot available (greyed out).

Is there any way I can do this or do I have to use Windows Outlook?

Thanks much.

2. DaveA

DaveA David Trusted Advisor

What format is this email that you are trying to insert a picture?
    It MUST be Rich Text (HTML).

3. oldshakey

oldshakey Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Here's additional info:
    The pictures that I am trying to insert INTO an email are .jpg format. I checked my Windows Mail setup by going to Tools, Options, and on the Send tab under the Mail Sending Format, HTML is selected. Under the News Sending Format, Plain Text is selected. When I click on HTML settings (under the Mail Sending Format, Send pictures with messages is checked. On the Security tab, under Download Images, Block images and other external content in HTML email is checked.

To my limited understanding, it appears that I am set up for HTML, but your further input would be appreciated. Are you using Windows Mail or Outlook? If WM, are you able to insert pictures in your emails from Windows Picture Gallery?

4. Alegro

Alegro

Have you tried just creating a mail then click insert then picture and browse?

5. oldshakey

oldshakey Thread Starter

Alegro,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've tried your approach in the past with the same result. When I click on Insert after opening a new email in Windows Mail, the only option I get is "File attachment" (Picture" is grayed out). When I click on "File attachment" and select and Open a picture, it attaches the picture rather than inserting it. In other words, I still have the problem.

Do you use Vista Windows Mail (not Outlook) and if, so can you insert a pix (.jpg) into your emails?

Thanks,
    Oldshakey

6. good grief

good grief

Oldshakey

Just a thought, have you left clicked your cursor in the body of the new email before attempting to insert via the picture icon? The insert picture icon stays greyed out until you do this. Also, the copy and paste option doesn't work by going into pictures first,, copying, and then bringing up a new email and trying to insert. It doesn't work in word processing programmes like that for me either (I just tried it to see), you have to use the insert options from inside the applications.
    Apologies if you have already tried this.

7. DaveA

I have been playing with this and the ONLY that I get what you are getting is when I do NOT have "Rich Text (HTML)" selected as the format of the NEW email.

So, are you SURE that you have changed the format to be Rich Text (HTML)?

8. nikkipugs

nikkipugs

How do you change the format to Rich Text (HTML)?

9. oldshakey

oldshakey Thread Starter

When I click on Format on a new email, it shows that "Rich Text (HTML)" is selected. Likewise when I click on Tools, Options, Send on the Windows Mail main menu, "Mail Sending Format" shows HTML selected. The "News Sending Format" is Plain Text, but I don't think that that is causing the problem.

I'm wondering if my Home Premium version is the problem, since you are able to insert pictures into the body of an email. Which Vista version are you using?

10. DaveA

I have Home Premium and Ultimate and it woks the same. This has been working in ALL versions I have used including those during Beta.

11. deubanks

deubanks

You have to click in the body of the message before you click insert, otherwise you will only get "file attachment" when you click insert.

12. Fortunate

Fortunate

You should have this button available to you.
    [​IMG]

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645633