1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inside of computer sparked now want com on!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steelroo, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Steelroo

Steelroo Thread Starter

I was playing a game and all of the sudden my computer turned off and at the corner of my eye I saw a spark inside the case and smelled smoke/burnt smell for a couple seconds. Now when I mashed the power button the fans and lights come on like it's starting up but then turns off 4-5 seconds later and restarts itself. I took the power supply out and did the paper clip test and it turned on... So I'm not sure what to do but pls some one help me!! Thanks

2. replay

replay

You don't list any of the components inside your computer
    The power supply brand and model would be helpful
    Usually when this happens it is the power supply that has blown!!
    Let's hope it didn't take any other components with it
    Buy or borrow a decent power supply and see if there is still life in your computer

3. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Like already mentioned, it's most likely the power supply that blew. The power supply produces a few different voltages, and it's possible that you're now missing one of them. Maybe 5V. Maybe 12V. As a result, your computer won't turn on.

Open up the case and use a flashlight to carefully inspect the motherboard and look for any signs of burning or damage. Try to figure out where the smell is coming from. If it's from the power supply, good. Now you know. As long as you keep it unplugged you can even disassemble the power supply and try to find the part that blew, and replace it. Probably a cap. Just be careful. Some big caps can still hold a unpleasant charge, and be sure to not plug it back in until you put it all back together properly.

If you have better things to do with your time or are sane enough to not risk your health, just buy a new one.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Agree with above, PSU is the most likely component to spark like that. Having said that, it could also kill the motherboard and/or CPU and/or RAM etc if it has blown.

The paperclip test is useless really for testing if a power supply actually works or not.

5. kingknightrider

kingknightrider

You may want to check the capacitors and regulators (the tower, lollipop and square shaped devices) of the motherboard and other components for if these look blown then that component is most likely burned and done.

6. Steelroo

Steelroo Thread Starter

By what I have seen I can't find any damage to any thing, and was just about to ask if the paper clip test is 100 percent good or not. Plus I looked up my psu which is a xtreme gear atx 800w and heard really bad things about them so now still trying to find if any damage and trying to figure out how to borrow a psu. Thank you for the replies

7. replay

replay

If u have heard bad things about your psu
    U might as well just bite the bullet and buy a new psu.......corsair,antec are a few good brands

8. Steelroo

Steelroo Thread Starter

i just rehooked my psu and turned on my computer and now everything works like normal out of no where. so idk what to think... is it even safe? or do i still need to get it looked at?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141585

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice