Inspiron 1150 USB port failure

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

L_Master562

My computer had been working fine, however recently the 2 usb ports just stopped working. Having checked everything I've thought of, I've found they still are seen by the computer as working fine. The devices I hook to it show they are connecting, but nothing is working. I've tried my external hardrive, memory stick, cameras, a printer and a dvd burner. The computer just doesn't read them at all as connected. I've tried them on my other two desktops in the house and eveything works fine. Anyone have any advice that could help me?

Hi,

You are probably overloading the power capacity of the USB 2 ports on the laptop.

Buy a powered USB 2 hub, Plug that into the laptop. Then plug the power hungry devices into that.

hth

Ceri

L_Master562

Why does everything work on other computers, and ran fine on this one for over half a year? I don't see why anything would be powerhungry, as most things have their own power cords.

dustyjay

Jay
Non of these devices except the memory stick and maybe thecamera should draw power fromthe USB ports. Have you tried uninstalling the USB Ports in device manager and letting them be redetected and reinstalled upon reboot. Could be nothing more than a driver glitch with them.

L_Master562

Yes, I've done that. I've just also finished speaking with Dell, and it hasn't helped much. I did a full system scan of all devices, everything tested nominal. Also, I've tried to restore older drivers, and replace them. Nothing has worked yet.

dustyjay

Jay
can you do a restore to an earlier date? One that you know everything was working?

L_Master562

but the fact is I back up all important data to my external hardrive, and don't want to lose any data. I have quite a bit I need. I also ran dell programs to install the specific updates and drivers for my particular system, and that hasn't helped any. I've also gotten some comments that say there might be some form of hardware problem, even though everything seems fine. I'm open to any other help I can get though.

dustyjay

Jay
Well seeing as you have tried every thing on a different computer, have you got access to a PMCIA USB card? With its own powersupply included? It could be bad USB ports

L_Master562

But diagnostics checked out everything usb to be fine. Oddly. But something physical that disrupts the connection is what I'm beggining to think is at fault.

dustyjay

Jay
The system can read the ports as fine but if the connectors are bad it wont tell you that. It could still be bad USB ports.

dustyjay

Jay
If by diagnostics you mean the device manger saying the device is working properly, this is not a definitive diagnosis

Yes a physically bad port may report as woring normal or proper in device manager. A simple test is to get ahold of a USB mouse that you know is working. it should work on the ports if they are working as Device manager. This would be a cheap test.

L_Master562

Acutally I ment the start up F12 full diagnostic mode. But I still question its validity.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online