1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

inspiron 1420 backlight dims when on AC power

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mechanical173, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mechanical173

mechanical173 Thread Starter

I have a Dell Inspiron 1420 running Vista 32bit.

I recently had a hard drive failure and reinstalled vista and all of my drivers. everything went well except for this issue with the backlight. on battery power I can control the backlight with Fn+up/down. however, once i plug it in, the backlight dims to the lowest setting and i can't change it. the brightness graphic still appears when i use Fn+up/down and the level on the bar changes, but it has no effect on the brightness.

I am 100% certain that it's not an issue with the backlight. I've tried reinstalling the drivers and getting the latest updates from Dell. the power management application also doesn't solve the problem. I have found a handful of other people describing the same problem using google, but no solutions.

I'm an engineer by trade and no stranger to problem solving, but I've spent too much time on this as it is and figured I have nothing to lose by posting here. can anyone give me a solution (or a cause)? any help would be much appreciated.

2. kenny111111

kenny111111

hello,
    you probably already tried this but here goes.. click the battery icon, choose "more power options">adjust the brightness display (left hand side) lets you set with/without ac power.. good luck..

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973567

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice