Inspiron 15-7568 Black Screen Only

Kolias

Nicolas
We have a 6 years old DELL Inspiron 15-7568 which has been a good laptop so far. In the last month or so I was getting a message about battery or adaptor message problem and I knew the battery was going bad so I went to the BIOS to remove the message (that message was saying that I can go to the BIOS and remove the message). I went to the BIOS but I couldn’t find anything related to this message so I exit without saving.

When the laptop rebooted, all I saw was a black screen and the keyboard was lit. It stayed like that for about 3 minutes and the laptop shut. I try to reboot with F9 or F12 or even F2 but the screen remained black. I rebooted again by holding the D key (that’s to test the screen) and the screen test was good (screen switched to various colors).

I did check the power cord which is good, removed the battery and the CMOS battery for a reset but the results are the same. Some times when I reboot I see for a moment the DELL logo but most of the times I see nothing. Also I can feel that the HDD spins. Since the screen is blank I can't do anything with the laptop and I'm writing this in another laptop we have.

Any idea what went/is wrong?
Thanks, Nicolas

Kolias

Nicolas
When I see the DELL logo I already have pressed F2 to start the BIOS and I type my password anyway to enter the BIOS but I see nothing. I also have tried to start the laptop without pressing any F key, the results are the same

No, it doesn’t always shutdown after 3 minutes. When I press F12 or F9 one of them is “diagnostic” and takes very long for it to shut down because I guess it goes thru the steps of the diagnostic. Eventually it will shut down.

To my opinion I think the BIOS got corrupt and that’s why I can’t access it when I press F2. I also connected the laptop to an external screen but the results were the same. When the screen is black there is nothing I can do.

I was thinking to try to boot with BART PE DVD I have but I don’t think this will work either because to boot from the DVD I have to change the boot sequence from the BIOS

Thanks for your time Peter

When it starts what happens if you press FN key and F8 together.
If Nothing Connect external monitor and press Fn and F8.
Do you have backup of your data

Also this may work - Depends on age of computer
  1. Restart the computer.
  2. Press and hold the CTRL + ESC key on the keyboard until the BIOS Recovery page appears.
  3. On the BIOS Recovery screen, select Reset NVRAM (if available) and press the Enter key. Select Disabled and press the Enter key to save the current BIOS settings.
  4. Select Recover BIOSand press the Enter key to start the recovery process.
    NOTE: Your Dell computer may restart a few times during the process of BIOS recovery.

Kolias

Nicolas
Thanks Peter, have to zip out for about 2 hrs. and will reply to all of your questions then but for now:

I do have backup of what I need

I didn’t wait for 10-20 seconds most likely was 10 seconds. I think DELL was saying 5 seconds

The link you sent looks fantastic and will try what they say

Nicolas

Kolias

Nicolas
Pressing FN+F8 does nothing at boot up. Doing the same with an external monitor connected the results are the same and laptop shuts off after about 2-3 minutes

Pressing CTRL+ESC the laptop goes OFF instantly. Since the screen is always black the only way I know if the laptop is ON/OFF is from the keyboard which lights ON/OFF every time I press the power button

So that means I can’t try anything on the DELL link you sent me because it all starts with the CTRL+ESC

What I observed is when I hold down the CTRL+ESC keys and then press the power button the lights on the keyboard light up for a second and then the laptop shut off. If I press the power button and then hold CTRL+ESC the lights stay ON for about 3-4 seconds before shutting off.

Forget to mention that yesterday I took the laptop to a repair place (a local box store reputable place) and I said I want an estimate of my cost before any work. They took the laptop and connected to a screen at the back (I could see what they were doing but their screen was too far to be able to read it). After about 5 minutes he came out and said that they can’t do anything because they can’t provide any warranty of any work they may do but he suspects that either the MB or the cooling fan is burned.

Also I remember when the laptop was 1 year old and just days before the warranty end we had a problem (pressing the power ON button did nothing so we couldn’t start the laptop) and had to send it to them free of charge and they replaced the MB.

Thanks Peter

Kolias

Nicolas
Thanks again Peter for your time. I have this service manual which is pretty good but I copied again just in case its different. I also have no problem checking the fan which is a very good point and I will let you know the results.

Tomorrow morning I will go to a used computers store I know for some time. I used to build CNC machines and needed one desktop for each machine and I bought all my desktops (10) from this guy which I got to know. The purpose is to search for a new laptop (2nd hand) but I will also ask him to check the one we are talking about. I know he has a technician who repairs his PC’s and in the past he had fixed one of the desktops he sold me.

The place is quite away from me so I expect to be back around midafternoon and then I will let you know about the fan

Much appreciated
Nicolas

Kolias

Nicolas
Peter my plans changed and I didn’t go to the computer store. So I did the test and the fan spins during all the time the laptop was running, about 2-3 minutes. Then it shut off like the laptop.

I was thinking if the fan spins it couldn’t be the MB but I may be wrong.

If you want me to do any other test I have no problem to do it

Nicolas

Kolias

Nicolas
Hi Peter, had some success today with the laptop because I got it going.

After I noticed that the fan spins and I could feel the HDD also working I reason it out that the MB is not damaged. Then I remember the massage on the laptop we were getting before it stopped working saying something about an adapter and on the link you send me last night I noticed somewhere “how to remove the power adapter port”.

So I found and removed the power adapter port and notice the end was kind of dirty, I clean it including the inside with a tooth pick, put it back and voila now the laptop is working but very very slow..

At bootup got the same massage again which now I copy the words and it says: “Alert: the AC power adapter wattage and type can’t be determined. The battery may not charge. The system will adjust the performance to match the power available” The 3 button options below were: Continue, BIOS Setup, Diagnostic.

What I don’t understand is when the message says “...the AC power adapter wattage and type can’t be determined..” The adapter I removed is just a female plug to accept the AC power feed and it plugs into the MB. Since it doesn’t have any electronics I think this message means the power cord itself which has a transformer from 120VAC to 19VDC. What do you think? Here is a link and picture of the power adapter inside the laptop.

Dell Inspiron 13-7353 13-7359 15-7568 Charging Port Connector Power Jack DC IN Cable Harness Wire - $15.99 :

Nicolas

Yes it could be a faulty Power supply. Finding someone with one that will fit to test will be hard.
It can be any make as long as it is the some specs.e.g 19V and similar wattage.
What happens on just battery.
Can your friend at the second hand store loan you power supply to test.
Even it it is running slow it may be wise to get off any data you need whilst you can.

Cheers
PeterOz

Kolias

Nicolas
I’m sure I can get a new or used power supply from that store, I will take the power supply cord with me to try and find one similar. No problem with the data, I will back it up as soon as I get the new power cord.

Cheers
Nicolas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online