1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inspiron 1525 Touchpad/Keyboard not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kailiebe, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kailiebe

Kailiebe Thread Starter

Hey there,

A friend was recently the victim of one of the 'Windows Service' scams and gave me his laptop to check they hadn't installed any malware on it. Thankfully they hadn't, but in the process of looking over his computer, I discovered he hadn't installed any Windows updates in the last 3 years. I've since installed all of these (about 200 files and two service packs) but now I have a slight issue in that neither the keyboard nor the trackpad works (at all). They were both working fine before the update, but now the computer doesn't even register them as input.

I've been trying to figure out why they're not working. I've plugged in a wireless keyboard/mouse combo and that works fine. For now, I'm remote desktop controlling the laptop via my iPad so that my own PC is free to use. I think it's a driver problem, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get it to work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will post TSG Sysinfo in next post:

2. Kailiebe

Kailiebe Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 448 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 139730 MB, Free - 96423 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 8087 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U990C
    Antivirus: Avira Desktop, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

EDIT: I can use the keyboard fine before Windows actually loads (in the BIOS?).

3. adam3088

adam3088

4. Kailiebe

Kailiebe Thread Starter

I installed that driver and it says it's ready to use, but still no luck :(

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

A computer that far behind in updates with a likely malware infection probably needs a reinstall of Windows at this point. You can wait a while to see if someone else has any ideas (steer clear of advice pointing to random, generic downloads), but this may be your only option eventually.

6. Kailiebe

Kailiebe Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback, Helix - I was hoping I wouldn't have to do a clean install, but I guess that would rectify the issues.

I'm fairly sure there's no malware on the computer. Avira isn't flagging anything, and the scammers only installed legitimate well-reputed freeware. I'd love to convince my friend to fork out and get a new Windows 7 laptop, but the scammers took £250 and he's a liiitle tight in the pocket at the minute.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice