Inspiron 15R won't boot with copied HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DGrass639

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (Inspiron 7520) with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit. It came with a 1TB SATA HDD + 32GB mSATA SSD w/Intel Smart Response. (I think that includes both "Intel Rapid Start Technology" and "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" - both utilizing the 32GB mSATA SSD). I wanted to copy my HDD before upgrading to Windows 10. This seemed to be the best/easiest way to back up everything and be able to get back to Windows 7 if I wanted to. I used a Paragon drive copy software to copy the entire drive. The software says it should work on Windows 7. (I tried to buy as close as I could to the exact same model drive, they're both 1TB WD Blue) When I put in the copied drive, during the boot-up, some screen comes up that appears to show my 32 GB drive as some sort of RAID, and it calls my WD drive "Unknown Disk" There's an option to press CTRL-I to enter Configuration Utility, or if I press nothing, it will go to a screen that says a bunch of stuff and at the end says: No Boot Device Found. Press any key to reboot the machine.

Rebooting gets to the exact same results.

If I put the original HDD back in, it works just fine.

I think the 32GB SSD with the Intel Tech is causing the problem, but I don't know how to safely fix it.

managed

Allan
Got a link to the Paragon software you used ? How did you connect the 2nd HDD to the laptop ?

DGrass639

I used Paragon Drive Copy 15 Professional. I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for with your request for a link. Here's a link to its page on Paragon's website:
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/dc-professional/
Please let me know if that's not what you're asking for.

I completely removed the original HDD and put the copied one in its place. There was only one HDD connected to my system at any given time. (To copy the HDD, I removed the original and took it with me to work where I have access to a system with the Paragon software on it.)

I've also included a screenshot of the two boot screens that I mentioned in the original post.20160704_211132[1].jpg 20160704_211122[1].jpg

DGrass639

I don't remember the exact terminology, but I'm pretty sure it would be a cloned drive. I know it was the whole drive (including partitions) but not just partitions.

managed

Allan
I'm guessing you have to tell Intel rapid storage about the new drive. I'm not familiar with that so I think it's best to wait until someone who is posts.

EDIT : the 2nd screen is normal, it's trying to boot across a network because it couldn't find any bootable device.

TerryNet

Terry
Yes, it should boot with a clone. My guess, and lack of familiarity with Intel rapid storage, parallels Allan's.

DGrass639

Okay, I understand you're both not familiar with the Intel thing, but based on your guess of needing to "tell Intel rapid storage about the new drive", where would you think (or guess) I would need to do that? In the Intel software in Windows 7 while running on the old drive? or in BIOS after putting in the new drive?

DGrass639

I see that at the top of the first screenshot, it says "Intel Rapid Storage Technology - Option ROM". I'm not sure if I had noticed that before. Anyway, here's a screenshot of the screen that shows up if I hit CTRL-I at that point.20160704_211010.jpg

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online