1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Inspiron 8100 battery charging issue plus

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ibleet, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

Hello everyone. :)

My son brought over his Inspiron 8100...he said it was "dead". I tore it down and found a loose DC power board. I put it back together and it booted right up. Yay!

He brings it back 2 weeks later saying the battery won't charge. It runs perfectly using the AC adapter, but only with the battery removed. So I began testing...

I removed the battery and plugged in the AC adapter. It booted right up into XP. I then inserted the battery and the laptop changed from adapter power to battery power (this should not happen). The battery low indicator came on since the battery charge was low and it was not getting charged from the adapter. I removed the battery (laptop is still plugged into the wall), and the laptop shuts down (this should also not happen). I press the power button and it boots back into windows under the power of the AC adapter.

Here is what I do know. Just 2 weeks ago the battery held a charge for ~2 hours. I replaced the AC adapter and I know it works. Putting a battery into the system forces it to use Battery power instead of using AC adapter power and charging the battery as it should.

I have a pretty good idea what the problem is, but I don't want to lead anyones thinking, so I won't say yet. Here is your chance to shine! :D What do you guys think the problem is?

Thanks in advance!

2. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

One thing I forgot to mention...the laptop will not charge the battery ever. Not even when its turned off and plugged into the wall. The battery charge indicator light on the laptop blinks green, but battery does not charge and adapter does not get warm. The AC adapter only works when there is no battery in the laptop. For some odd reason, plugging in the battery totally bypasses the AC adapter.

3. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

Also the green light on the adapter pulses when the battery is inserted, and the screen pulses as well, like an intermittent power surge. Help please!

4. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

So...not one single person here has any laptop repair experience? Interesting. :( :confused:

5. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

Bump!

Over 2500 active users and no one has a clue about this? :confused:

What part of a laptop is responsible for switching between AC adapter power and battery power? How about maybe the DC power board?

I'm not angry that I didn't get help with this problem...more like disappointed. I just heard so much good about this site, that my expectations were too high.

Last post here..cya!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I'm sorry you feel that way. But with the number of posts that go up daily, posts do get lost. And not all our members are experts in laptop repair.

If you know what the issue likely is then go ahead and try replacing that part and see if it resolves the issue.

7. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

Posts do get lost, I agree...but I posted this and added to it 3 more times, then even bumped it so everyone had at least 5 chances to see it. I highly doubt it got "lost". :D

Just because I have a good idea what the issue is, doesn't mean that I'm certain. It is always nice to bounce ideas around, especially with people with the experience of this site.

I also want to make sure that my solution is "cost effective". I just can't replace a motherboard in a 4 year old, $200 laptop...that just doesn't make sense.

But...surely it's not personal. I posted this issue in half a dozen sites and only got a few responses. It appears that someone with laptop repair experience would be in a much needed field according to my results. I tear laptops down all the time, but there are times when you run up against a problem that you just can't be 100% certain. For times like those, I like to know there is a helpful place to go for assistance. ;)

My biggest issue here is NOT that no one helped me, but that no one even made an attempt. You don't have to be an expert at something to offer a suggestion...who knows, it just might be helpful, or something that I overlooked.

With all the facts that are here, my solution led to replacing the DC power board. It doesn't explain everything, but it does cover most of them. I have ordered the replacement, and I will update as soon as I find results. If this doesn't work then the laptop becomes a desktop replacement, or is sold for parts. It doesn't make any sense to sink any more money into it.

Thanks anyway. :cool:

8. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

[issue Solved]

9. countryboy30

countryboy30

faulty charging circuits on the mother board.

10. ibleet

ibleet Thread Starter

Wrong!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645801

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice