Inspiron 9300: stuttering in games

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

guicat

I recently bought an Inspiron 9300. I am having problems running games on it because there is a lot of stuttering. Stuttering seems to happen more frequently when there is a lot of sound going on. It is so bad, that I can't play any of my games. I noticed that my video card and sound card are sharing the same IRQ. Could this be the cause of the stuttering? Also, in dxdiag, the test sound button gives me an error after testing the software buffers saying that my sound card does not support hardware buffering. My problem only occurs in games. Listening to mp3, or playing movies does not induce stuttering.

What I've tried so far:
- Updating to the latest Dell video and sound card drivers.
- Installling other video drivers like Xtreme-G.
- Flashing the bios to the most rercent version.
- Switching from "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "Standard PC". This one did not work because the PCI Express Root Port device was giving an error about not being able to free enough resources. Windows was not able to detect my video card because of this.
- Disabling hardware sound acceleration.

The only solution to the stuttering problem right now is to deactivate the sound card. Once I do this, the stuttering is gone in all of my games. I thought about purchasing a PCMCIA sound card but I heard that it didn't work with internal speakers.

I really need help on this one. I'm considering returning my laptop to Dell since I have three weeks to return it in case I'm not satisfied.

guicat said:
I recently bought an Inspiron 9300. I am having problems running games on it because there is a lot of stuttering. Stuttering seems to happen more frequently when there is a lot of sound going on. It is so bad, that I can't play any of my games. I noticed that my video card and sound card are sharing the same IRQ. Could this be the cause of the stuttering? Also, in dxdiag, the test sound button gives me an error after testing the software buffers saying that my sound card does not support hardware buffering. My problem only occurs in games. Listening to mp3, or playing movies does not induce stuttering.

What I've tried so far:
- Updating to the latest Dell video and sound card drivers.
- Installling other video drivers like Xtreme-G.
- Flashing the bios to the most rercent version.
- Switching from "ACPI Uniprocessor PC" to "Standard PC". This one did not work because the PCI Express Root Port device was giving an error about not being able to free enough resources. Windows was not able to detect my video card because of this.
- Disabling hardware sound acceleration.

The only solution to the stuttering problem right now is to deactivate the sound card. Once I do this, the stuttering is gone in all of my games. I thought about purchasing a PCMCIA sound card but I heard that it didn't work with internal speakers.

I really need help on this one. I'm considering returning my laptop to Dell since I have three weeks to return it in case I'm not satisfied.
lappies are crap for games, unless you wanna blow $3000 on an Alienware, Lappies are for travelling sales men and people who wanna look cool at the local frappachino shop.

I'm having a stuttering problem too, even on old games such as Neverwinter Nights. I've posted on the Dell forums and Usenet with no luck (Dell support are useless.) Not sure if the sound card is responsible; how do I check for IRQ conflict?

P.

guicat said:
Therein lies the answer.
If DELL can't sort the problem out for you, send it back.

I'm sure we could suggest all kinds of things, but you just shouldn't have to dissect and troubleshoot hardware problems on a brand new machine.

If DELL can't sort the problem out for you, send it back.
You'd think they would, wouldn't you?

I'm my experience, the only thing that hardware support do it tell you to run the diagnostics utility on the laptop, even those this doesn't appear to test things like the 3D capabilities of your card, or throughput, or anything like that.

If that passes, they tell you to do a reinstall.

If that doesn't work, they tell you to go to paid software support instead! (Who in turn, advise you to reinstall, yadda yadda).

Absolutely useless.

P.

A while ago I posted about a problem with my Inspiron 9300 with games
stuttering. Finally, I found a fix for this problem on this page:

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/story/31874/?spage=7

Quote:
"By default, Dell sets all their hard drives to "power saving mode"
which keeps temps down, saves on battery, and might even prolong the
life of the drive. This also makes the drive much slower and for gamers
it causes stuttering as every time your pagefile needs to be accessed
the HDD must turn on and start spinning. For those of you that want
your HDD running "full speed" the way it should be, Notebook
Hardware Control allows you to adjust the power management of your HDD, letting you run your HDD the way it should be, full blast and
stutter-free in games."
Notebook Hardware Control can be downloaded from here:

http://www.pbus-167.com/nhc/nhc.htm

In the Hard Disk tab, setting Advanced Power Management to Max.
Performance has cured stuttering problems, woo-hoo.

P.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online