Instability in Fedora 32

Joomes

I used to have a 4gb+8gb RAM config in my PC, and I recently upgraded the 4gb stick to another 8gb stick for 8gb+8gb. It was stable for a few days, then it started having weird instability issues. Things are slower, it will randomly log me out, and even fully lockup sometimes forcing me to hard reset power. I tried removing the new 8gb stick, but the stability issue persisted. I've tried different combinations of RAM in different slots and nothing fixes it. I next tried installing a spare hard drive for a fresh install of Fedora, and the issue is still there.

When it logs me out, when I log back in I get an error notification saying xorg-x11-server quit unexpectedly.
Name: xorg-x11-server-Xwayland
Version 1.20.9-1.fc32.x86_64
Reports: ABRT Server

AMD FX-4300
Nvidia GTX 650 ti 2gb
1tb 7200rpm drive

Could be that because you touch both sticks, that they are damaged by static electricity. RAM needs to be handled by the edges.

Joomes

Could be that because you touch both sticks, that they are damaged by static electricity. RAM needs to be handled by the edges.
One of the 8gb RAM sticks has a large heat spreader that covers all the sensitive parts of the board, and I'm pretty sure I didn't touch the pins on it. The RAM sticks were set down on a wooden desk that can't have shocked them, and I didn't drop any of the RAM sticks either.

Either you have two bad RAM sticks, or the onboard RAM controller is damaged. Your cheapest avenue would be to try a new, tested stick of RAM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts