1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install 64 over 32-bit

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by plvness, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Hello all I have a gateway desktop model gm-5483e with a motherboard ecs-945gct-m3 it came with vista home premium 32-bit what hardware do I need to swap out to make the 64-bit version run also I want to use it for some light gaming so how powerful can I go with the CPU right now its an Intel Pentium d925 dual core with each core at 3ghz thanks

2. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1009580/1009580sp2.shtml is your system.

Okay, firstly how much RAM do you have? If you have less than 4GB then there is no point in having a 64 bit system. You won't see any speed increase by upgrading, and in fact there is every chance you will see a decrease in performance.

From what I can tell, that CPU is x64 compatible. This means you can install a 64 bit system anytime (without "swapping out" hardware).

For gaming, the CPU matters more than the CPU. What graphics card do you have? If it's a Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 as is listed on that website then that's going to limit you to (3D) games from around 2004 and before.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It is a complete fresh install don't forget!

4. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Right now I have 4 gb of ram in there might go up to 6 or 8 and as for the video card I wouldn't play solitaire with integrated graphics ill make good use of of the PC express 2.0 slot I am big on strategy gaming by the way supreme commander and of course the total war series bit I'm pumped I don't next to buy a new cpu

5. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Lastly is it possible to pop a quad core in there for the cpu

6. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

Make sure your PSU is good enough to handle any graphics card you put in there.

If it's just for games, a quad core is overkill. Most games won't even use it. A dual core is more than good enough. The pentium D in there is already a dual core, it's just a bit rubbish. I have a quad core here because I use that power for production, but my brothers dual core computer runs games just as well as mine.

You will need a complete reinstall to upgrade to x64 as is said before.

7. plvness

plvness Thread Starter

Ii have a 650w psu in there with 4 gb of ram when u say my CPU is rubbish what do u mean

8. matthewdownloads

matthewdownloads

I mean it's a budget processor compared to the Core 2 series processors that were around at the same time the pentium D came out (Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad). It's a processor designed for a basic computer and is quite adequate for browsing the internet and making documents. Even the Core 2 processors are now mid-range having been replaced by the i5 and i7.

For example you can get a Pentium D off ebay for £10.
    A core 2 quad Q6600 is now £50
    An i7 is £130

There's a good reason for the huge difference in price lol

HOWEVER, it may be so so for games. The graphics card is really what you need to worry about.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice