1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install 8086-harddrive in modern PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spalan, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spalan

spalan Thread Starter

I have a very old PC - 8086 or 8088 - where there is still data on the harddrive. Unfortunately my new PC doesn't have a 5,25" diskdrive. I tried installing the old harddrive in my new computer, but the new PC wouldn't even recognize there was a new drive connected. Can anybody tell me how I can connect this old harddrive to a new PC to transfer the data?

2. schusterjo

schusterjo

How are you connecting it? Slave? or are you using it on a secondary IDE? need more info on what you have tried already.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Whats the model of the drive. You may need to manually configure it in the BIOS or check the jumpers on the drives for the correct Master and Slave setting. If its really old you may need the controller card that the drive was connected too.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please give us the make/model of the drive.

First off, I'd connect it on a cable separate from any other device. Remove the CD/DVD drives from the secondary IDE channel and connect this drive as the only device on the end of the cable.

Second, check the BIOS parameters that are set for ther drive, in really old systems, it was common not to use automatic settings, but rather force a specific disk geometry. If so, you'll have to duplicate that on the new system to read the data.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If this is out of an old XT machine, I doubt that it is an IDE drive. is the old system maybe an 80286 processor machine? Asking because the hard drives from an 8088 are likely to a MFM interface or RLL interface which would require a controller card of that interface to operate.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Also if the old computer is running you can copy the data to floppy drives. If it onloy has a 5.25 floppy you can install that on your new machine after copying the data over to the flopppies and read that data from there. But then you would need to find a place that still carries 5.25" floppies. I havent seen any for sale around here.

7. JohnWill

If it's really that old of a system, I'd be looking at a serial port tranfer application.

8. spalan

spalan Thread Starter

Okay people - fist off, thanks a lot for your replies so far. I've reinstalled the drive to the old PC and booted. The system is a Philips P3105, running Philipc PC Rom 1.2 with 768k system memory. I found out (via fdisk) that the disk has 611 cylinders. Unfortunately, it's been so long that I've worked on such a system that I can't really figure out how to get into the bios. Can someone help me there?

9. schusterjo

schusterjo

10. JohnWill

If the system in question is as represented at the bottom of this page, there is no "BIOS setup" according to this guy. :) http://home.iae.nl/users/pb0aia/cm/garage.html

I suspect the drive may well be an MFM or RLL drive, and since it's surely running on an ISA bus controller, there's no way you're going to move it to a modern system.

I renew my suggestion for a serial or parallel port transfer application like the older LapLink versions.

11. spalan

spalan Thread Starter

Well, a direct transfer (serial/parallel) would be nice, but just as I can't get data off the old PC to a modern system, I can't get a direct transfer software onto the old PC...

12. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    While not as easy as a direct transfer port to port, and certainly more time consuming, you may still be able to use floppy disks to transfer the data. If you have a spare 3 1/2 floppy drive laying around it may work inplace of a 5 1/4 in drive the interface should be the same. But if the machine is truly an 8088 machine the 3 1/2 floppy may not work. I love these old machines. What is the HArd drive you are talking about? MAnufacturer and model if you can read it?

13. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
  14. Knotbored

Knotbored

There used to be something called a "null modem" cable to transfer stuff between computers. I believe it was an external modem cable with two wires swapped at one end. Google search should bring up instructions on how to work it and make it.
    Another alternative-I installed an old hard drive into an external enclosure and use it from USB port. It wasn't as old as yours, it was from WINME. The enclosure cost about $40 from BEST-BUY. The box said "any hard drive" so it might work.

15. JohnWill

The serial port transfer applications I refer to would be put onto a floppy to transfer to the old system. There were also options with Laplink to upload the applications using plain MS-DOS through the serial cable.

I wouldn't reject the solution until you fully understand it. :rolleyes:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/531104

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice