1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install blues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SliverBullet, Feb 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SliverBullet

SliverBullet Thread Starter

Im hoping to get some help from someone whos more experianced than me in this field. I have been trying unsuccessfully for about 2 weeks now to reinstal a system with Windows XP Pro with Service pack 1a embeded in the install disk.

I have had a rash of problems and im wondering if they are connected, and how to fix them.

One note first I have tested all hardware against the HCL and all of my hardware is listed.

I originally installed this system on a full 200 gb hd, There had been no problems at all with this installation but it was felt that data would be safer if there were partitions and a full reinstall on the system.

I tried to reinstall this system, It had been installed with as fully updated version of windows as was available due to downloads of all recent updates. I was asked to reinstall onto a 200gb WD Caviar hard drive but instead of loading on a full drive to make at least 2 partions on the drive, a 20 gig for windows and a secondary for data. I was very displeased when the first time i tried to load on this 20 gb partition i recieved an error that was a BAD_POOL_CALLER error. I tried to reformating the partition and reloading all the install files but I simply recieved a blue screen with the same error on it but this time instead of during the installing devices phase it happened during the phase after you choose the network settings. I tried installing on a different hard drive and that seemed to work so I wanted to try loading it again on my original hard drive. It still didnt work with a blue screen in a different place than before.

I had a friend (experienced IT pro) streamline Service Pack 2 along with the copy of windows that i had unsuccessfully loaded 3 times now. He then loaded that copy of Windows onto the machine apparantly successfully. This was until I tried to update it further and had downloaded the updates and was quite surprised to see a message of Updates Failed please restart system. This was very bad because i was then unable to boot the system even in safe mode.

I then tried to reinstall that streamlined copy but in the process recieved 3 errors that appeared to state that a file had not been found but did not stop the install process. That install was cut short because the computer would not accept updates again and would not allow any cds to be read.

I then went back to the original disk that had been used and reformatted the 20 gb partition and installed that onto the computer. This seemed to be successful but had the same issues and the previous load except that it would recognize cds but was being a real pain in finding network connectivity.

I decided that I would try to reload as close to the original system configuration as possible but was again unsuccessful with the load process because when it was deleting temporary used files and had 1 minute left in the load time it refused to go forward for about 30 minutes at which time i attempted to restart the system and the system refused to boot to the login screen, it gave an error which was so quickly followed by a restart that i was unable to read it.

This is where I am at currently with this project. Would anyone like to give me help? I would appreciate the help immensely

I also am asking about my current proposed next step. I have another copy of Windows XP Pro that I could load on this system. This copy has absolutely no embeded service packs. Im wondering if the service pack being embeded in that copy may have to do with why it wont load correctly? Please see if anybody can shed some light on this

2. SliverBullet

SliverBullet Thread Starter

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/443250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice