1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install.exe - Entry Point Not Found

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by OM2, Sep 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

I'm trying to install Mcafee on a Windows Vista laptop.
    I get this error: "Install.exe - Entry Point Not Found"

I googles and came to a Microsoft page that gives the solution to the problem:

To work around this behavior, examine your home drive (the drive letter of your local workstation) and the entries in the path variable until you locate the incorrect versions of the .dll files. Then, delete the problem .dll files.

If the .dll files are found in your home drive, you can disconnect the drive as a temporary workaround.

What??
    I would say that I'm fairly techie and at home finding my around advanced settings. I dont understand what I'm supposed to do here!

It says disconnect the home drive? What the C drive? How do I disconnect that!?

'If the dll files are found' - I'm not clear where I should look, there are zillions of dll files - how do I know what to look for??

What if the dll files arent found? What then?

I'm really confused. :(

The link for the above mentioned page is this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/300179

Help!

Thanks

OM

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I think it needs a newer version of .NET than is installed on that PC.

3. OM2

OM2 Thread Starter

@DaveBurnett thanks.
    i gave up in the end and installed kaspersky.
    i later read that the problem was because the software wasnt compatible with vista - would have been great if we had a simple message saying this.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1156155

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice