1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install failed-Windows Update KB970892 SQL Server 2005 sp3

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by GEOFF, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Yesterday my wife's Dell computer running Vista Home Premium installed 16 of the 17 automatic updates. After numerous attempts I could still not get update KB 970892 SQL service pack 3 to install. It shows an unknown error code 737D.

Strange, on my Dell notebook also running Vista Home Premium all 17 installed right away. Both computers are 2 years old with lots of hard drive space and until this event all updates have worked without a hitch on both. How can I get this to install as Microsoft shows it as important?
    Thank you.
    G

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

If any "SQL services" are disabled, then this is one reason it will not install.

Enable and Start the service(s), try the update again.

Another thing that will cause this is if the program folder for SQL has been compressed, the folder name will be blue if it has been compressed. To uncompress the folder and files in it:
    Right click on the Microsoft SQL Server folder and go to properties

Click on Advanced

Uncheck the box that says: "Compress contents to save disk space."

Apply this setting to the folder, sub folders and files (radio button)

Apply this setting, and go back to your Desktop.

If you don't have a need for SQL, (most PC's don't come with this software) then look for it in Programs and Features list and remove the software, Restart the PC, then the update will not show up anymore.

3. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Ok, this really helps. I checked and the folder is not compressed. I don't use or know anything about SQL and I saw the SQL folders(5 of them with SQL mentioned) in Programs and Features, so I could delete them. I guess the order does not matter.

But, if I wanted to enable it, how would I go about doing that, or is it a complicated and diffucult procedure and I should just uninstall all SQL references
    Thank you for your help.
    G

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

SQL comes pre loaded on some Business PC's so unless you have the reinstallation disc, you cannot get it back if you uninstall the softare, unless you have a restore partition to set the PC back to "as shipped" condition, this procedure will wipe all personal data though.

So be sure you can live without SQL before removing it in programs and features.

Or start the SQL services so you can install the update, or just ignore the update, or you can right click on the update and select "hide".

SQL is data base software, some business users need it for other software they install to work properly, most never use or need this software.

Control Panel (classic view)>Admin Tools>Computer management>Services.

Once the services window opens up, look for SQL in the list, there may be more than one service, check the status and the startup type.

Startup type needs to be "manual" most likely is "disabled"
    Status needs to be "Started"
    You cannot start a service if it is "Disabled", so you need to change it to "manual" then start the service.

Double click on the SQLxxx service, a window opens, from the startup type drop down box, select "manual", then hit the start button to start the service. Hit OK to close the window. Do this for all SQL services if there is more than one.

Hopefully you can install the update now.

If you reboot the PC, the SQL services will not be started, if you should need to restart the service(s) for some reason after a reboot, just right click on the service and select "Start"

Hope this is not to confusing.

5. GeorgeEvers

GeorgeEvers

I can't guarantee that this will work for everyone, but it worked for me: different users are probably experiencing this error for different reasons. Without analyzing anyone's system, I cannot recommend any particular course of action; but I can share what worked for me after other posts on the topic failed.

I checked Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and found no mention of "SQL Server 2005" or "Microsoft SQL Server 2005." Since I seemed to remember uninstalling SQL services after uninstalling Visual Studio 2005, I suspected leftover files to be the reason the update was attempted but didn't install. Since I didn't see any program that needed SQL, I (i) typed "services.msc" at the Run prompt and stopped all SQL services (i.e. by right-clicking them and clicking Stop), (ii) made a copy of the "SQL Server" folder in My Documents from the "Program Files" directory in case deleting it should present a problem, (iii) deleted the "SQL Server" folder from the "Program Files" directory, and (iv) used a registry cleaner to efficiently remove over 400 dead links left in the registry. The system restarted without any difficulty, and all programs seem to work without difficulty. I am no longer prompted to install the update, all SQL services (i.e including that which did not work anyway) are now absent, and any security risk that might have existed due to a partial uninstallation should be gone. Registry cleaners are available at http://www.downloads.com, with which I am not affiliated: if using Registry Mechanic, you should enable deep registry cleaning, but this requires a serial (again, I have no affiliation with those who profit from this software - I am only giving credit where credit is due).

One possible cause is that uninstalling a program and then using System Restore causes Add/Remove Programs to no longer show the program though all system files other than those in My Documents are restored.

I hope this helps at least some of you.

v/r,
    George Evers
    http://www.georgeevers.org

6. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Mumbodog your instructions are clear. I switched all the SQL that were disabled to manage and started them. No luck installing. I even went into SLQ server configuration manager and enabled all the same items that were enabled on my notebook that had the successful install. I checked that everything on the problem install pc was the same as my successful install notebook. Still no luck installing after numerous attemps and restarts and making sure all were started and running.

The SLQ server active directory helper is disabled on both computers in Servicesand does not start when attempted....but seems not important as the update installed on the notebook with it disabled.

In programs and features my notebook shows 5 SQL programs with an extra SQL program called Microsoft SQL server 2005 Compact Edition (ENU) which is not on the computer that had the failed install. Not sure if this means anything.

I would like to get the update to install if possible Mubodog. What to do now?

George, My Program and Features lists the SQL programs as mentioned above.
    G

7. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

I also noticed that after I start one of the SQL services and attempt to install the update, that after the update fails if I immediately look at that SQL service it has stopped running asn needs to be started again. It is as if the update stops that seervice.
    G

8. mastofdom

mastofdom

Geoff,

I have been following this thread with the exact same issue as you; I am running Vista Ultimate, and I was just able to solve my problem thanks to this post:

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/998374.htm#post4652422

To quote what he did here:

This is where I was getting stuck. However, he also supplies the link to the zipped archive that contains the "sqlrun_sql.msi" installation package. To save you work, I will just paste the link here:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=65109

After following those instructions, I was able to install the KB970892 update successfully. Hope it works for you too :).

Btw, I had already looked at the two common causes of "error 737D", which were the compressed folder issue and something else I can't think of right now. Attached is a copy of my "Summary.txt" file after a successful install this morning. Yay!

Slaven

Attached Files:

9. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

mastofdom. This did not work for me. I followed the instructions exactly, but the install failed again and again even after making sure services were running. This is getting to be depressing. I don't know why Microsoft sends out this kind of update when it works on some pc's and not others. Now I don't know whether to restore my system back to before this SQL change in programs as I am not sure what that was or what it did?

The only slightly more positive thing is the install attempt seemed to last longer before failing. What to do?
    G

10. mastofdom

mastofdom

Can you post the contents of your "Summary.txt" file?

The only thing I can think of is to uninstall all of your SQL components and reinstall from the file that I linked to there. I see you are running Vista as well, so I really don't know what else to tell you.

Hope you get it figured out.

11. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Sorry, I am not familiar with finding the Summary.txt file. Tell me how to find it and post and I will do.
    Thanks,
    G

12. mattskor

mattskor

Hello,

I am having the same issue with the patch failing. I followed your link and downloaded and extracted the file. I supplied the sqlrun_sql.msi file to the installer after going through add-remove-programs but it tells me that it is not the correct MSI for my version. I have sql 2005 express with SP3. I tried finding a standalone 2005 Express with integrated SP3 to hopefully get a SQLRUN_SQL.msi file that is for my version but no luck. All i can find is the SP3 patch and that contains a .msp file. Is there some way to get this .msp combined with the .msi you found to make it the correct SP3 version? Otherwise, i cannot finish the "suspended install," and I cannot rerun SP3 as it tells me to do it through Add/remove programs. This latest update is failing on all of my servers with SQL 2005 Exp SP3 and it is causing databases to go down after a number of hours. I am losing sharepoint, antivirus, system essentials, exchange, and my ticketing system every 4-5 hours and have to reboot the servers.

13. mastofdom

mastofdom

@Geoff,

Referring back to the thread I linked to, here are the instructions to get to the Summary.txt file:

@mattskor,

The archive that I downloaded is named "SQLEXPR_ADV". I assume that the "adv" stands for 'advanced'. All I can tell you is to uninstall all of your SQL components and re-install them using the above archive. Make sure that all of the registry keys have been removed as well before you try re-installing.

I am no expert either guys, just a regular dude trying to fix stuff with Google's help. :)

14. GEOFF

GEOFF Thread Starter

Well, here is where I am at. The update is still not installed, but everything is running fine at least on the pc. I tried to use System Restore to go back before I installed the SQL archive file to see what the Summary.txt file would show at that point and maybe to put my mind at ease, but no matter how far I went back in Restore (even before the last successful updates), the Restore failed. Not sure why, but that is another story I guess.

Anyway, here is my summary.txt file below. I can see the error. I started to follow the error's instructions (not the remote registry service part though...I just went right to the add/remove in control panel) and got to where it was asking for the setup disc or file. Am I to assume it is the LEXQPR_ADV previously downloaded file it is asking for? Is it saying that the upgrade I did before with this file then did not complete? That's what I think, but I am a little nervous after seeing mattskor's post.
    G

Time: 10/19/2009 11:01:11.869
    KB Number: KB970892
    Machine: SHARON-PC
    OS Version: Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 6002)
    Package Language: 1033 (ENU)
    Package Platform: x86
    Package SP Level: 3
    Package Version: 4053
    Command-line parameters specified:
    /quiet
    /allinstances
    Cluster Installation: No

**********************************************************************************
    Prerequisites Check & Status
    SQLSupport: Passed

**********************************************************************************
    Products Detected Language Level Patch Level Platform Edition
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ) ENU SP3 2005.090.4035.00 x86 EXPRESS
    SQL Server Database Services 2005 (SQLEXPRESS) ENU SP3 2005.090.4053.00 x86 EXPRESS_ADVANCED

Products Disqualified & Reason
    Product Reason

Processes Locking Files
    Process Name Feature Type User Name PID

Product Installation Status
    Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (MSSMLBIZ)
    Product Version (Previous): 4035
    Product Version (Final) :
    Log File : C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9_Hotfix_KB970892_sqlrun_sql.msp.log
    SQL Express Features :
    Error Number : 29565
    Error Description : MSP Error: 29565 SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance because the previous upgrade did not complete. Start the Remote Registry service and go to Add/Remove Programs, select the Change button for Microsoft SQL Server 2005, and then select SQL instance MSSMLBIZ and complete the setup.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Product : SQL Server Database Services 2005 (SQLEXPRESS)
    Product Version (Previous): 4053
    Product Version (Final) :
    Log File :
    SQL Express Features :
    Error Number : 0
    Error Description :
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary
    One or more products failed to install, see above for details
    Exit Code Returned: 29565

15. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I think this is your answer to the problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/869167

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice