1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install hard drive; bay is too big for drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tompoe, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tompoe

tompoe Thread Starter

I have a dell dimension 4400 without hard drive. I opened the case, but can't figure out where to put the hard drive, as the logical bays available are too big for the hard drive I have. Do I have to buy a frame or something? Any help appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi tompoe, and welcome to TSG.

Assuming you want to install a 3.5 inch hard drive, it sounds like you may be missing the hard drive cage shown on page 79 of the user manual in this PDF file:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4400/6J373a00.pdf.

Not sure if you can purchase the cage from Dell or how much it costs. If you have an open 5.25 inch expansion bay, it may be cheaper to buy generic adapter rails or a generic adapter tray to fit the drive in the larger bay.

3. tompoe

tompoe Thread Starter

Thanks, much. I'll head off to Best Buy, and see what they have.

4. ChemicalMonkey

ChemicalMonkey

i had the same problem, i just got some longer screws and put it in the larger bay. or if you want to get a quick easy fix, just screw it onto the front of the case, theres uaually a spot there for a secondary hard drive that fits behind the primary hard drive bay.

Cant stress this enough though, if you do use this method, make sure its not going to block any fans, or air intake exc. And make sure your not blocking any vital holes in the hard drive.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757643

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice