1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install linux on a tablet

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by pleaseineedhelp, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pleaseineedhelp

pleaseineedhelp Thread Starter

I have a rm tablet pc RTAB910-T01 and i would like to install a form of linux on it but i don't know how to do it so can anyone help? PLEASE!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

How will you get Windows XP back on it if Linux doesn't work for you?

That has 256 MB RAM and one or more USB ports, right?

How much hard disk space?

Do you have an external (USB) optical drive?

3. monckywrench

monckywrench

It's easy to get Linux ON to a tablet, by removing the hard disk and using another PC to install, then tossing the hard disk back into the tablet.

I recommend IMAGING your hard drive to backup first so you can reinstall Windows if you need to, or just save the Windows drive and use another hard disk to experiment since they are cheap.

I also recommend getting familiar with WHAT you want Linux to do for you on that tablet and determining first if there is a Linux distribution suitable to your purpose.

A quick Google doesn't show much for that tablet, which suggests you might want to find another machine to use for Linux and leave the tablet as-is. It's worth more with a clean Windows install on it.

If you don't have a legit Windows disk and the install is bad, you could install Linux to make it usable. I would be sure to install xvkbd so I could have a usable virtual keyboard, and put a shortcut to it on your desktop since there may be no way to bring it up otherwise. If you have an external keyboard you could use that to assist configuration of your machine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1020034