1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install New Hd Headache

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VickiC, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Deskpro 6000 that I am trying to install a Western Digital HD on. OK, dead one out and new one is in. Boot up the computer and instead of it doing it's usual routine, it finds what I assume is the new HD and says to press F1 to accept the changes. Well, maybe I shouldn't have done that because now I cannot get into BIOS. I have pressed F10 several thousand times now and am ready to toss it out the window. But at the time I accepted the changes there didn't seem to be any other option!
    Question is- how do I get back to where I was before I accepted the change? If that's possible, that is!

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You won't be able to have access to the F 10 feature until you get the Compaq partition back on the hard drive that tells it that F 10 info is there.

Do you have the Compaq floppy boot and the Compaq restore cd?

3. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

No, I don't have the restore disk. Compaq gave me a web site to download the RomPaq that I needed. I hope there is a download for the restore disk?????

4. ~Candy~

I believe that should be the same thing. Did you download it yet?

5. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

I was under the impression that is what the Rompaq was, too but wasn't 100% sure.
    Yes, I downloaded it, made the diskette and powered on with it in just like Compaq told me to. However, I get this memory error message as soon as it started and it was all over then :-(
    So far, not one thing they told me to do has worked or was where it was supposed to be so I'm getting pretty frustrated!
    And it HAS to be the right download, I sent the serial number of the PC to them to be sure I was downloading the correct version.
    I even made another diskette and it did the same thing. I'm at a dead end now, right?

6. ~Candy~

Can you post the error message?

7. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

Yes, I can. It will take me a few mintues- I'm working with 1 monitor here.

8. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

I get a screen with a red exclamation point and the following:
    ERROR ALLOCATING MEMORY

9. ~Candy~

I probably should have asked this earlier, but is the new hard drive formatted yet? Have you done anything to it besides hooking it up and praying to the computer Gods?

10. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

No, I haven't gotten that far yet. I was just trying to do what Compaq told me to do first, clear the CMOS and update the BIOS.
    Then according to the WD instructions, you had to reset the BIOS first before doing the install/partition.
    But, it didn't do what it was supposed to do, let me go into the setup and change things, I just got sucked into accepting whatever changes the computer saw .

11. ~Candy~

Ok, just for fun......let's try to get this puppy formatted....have you tried booting to it using the WD software?

12. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

No, I didn't try that- I was too afraid of screwing it up more than it already was.
    I assume what you are telling me to do is go ahead and do the install and format and if it works I can go back and see if I can get the Rompaq to work correctly and then try to reset the BIOS?

13. ~Candy~

Let's just stop at the format for now. I don't think the Rompaq is going to recognize an unformatted hard drive.

14. VickiC

VickiC Thread Starter

OK, I'm off to give it a shot:))
    If it doesn't work, I think I will do what your signature line suggests- go have a beer and let someone else do it!
    Thanks so much for the help!

15. ~Candy~

You're welcome....keep us posted.....time for a beer for me too :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice