1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install PCI device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jackiefrost9, Jan 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9 Thread Starter

So i was at a LAN party the other night and we decided to throw a new sound card in my computer, well i left the room and let someone who i thought knew what he was doing put it in and i come back to a computer that has absolutely no sound and is missing an ethernet driver and says it found a new PCI device. Well i sorted through them and got the sound card working and got my ethernet driver back and it's almost back to normal except when i start the computer it comes up with the found new hardware wizard and it is for the PCI device, but i can't find any driver or anything for it. I re-installed my chipset drivers cuz i thought that might help but it didn't so i don't really know what to do because i've never had this happen before. Does anyone know where i can get some driver or something that will fix this? as far as i can see it's not causing a problem but it is really annoying. Right now the sound card is the only PCI device that i have in my computer apart from my PCI express video card. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Just a guess . . it may be the game port on the sound card that it finds and cannot load the drivers for . . you can look on the sound card website for a full set of drivers. . . next time you go to a lan party take a baseball bat . . use it on anyone that opens the case . .

3. GripS

GripS

I'm guessing you had on-board sound before correct? Or did you just swap out a sound card?

If you had on-board sound before make sure that it is disabled now in the BIOS.

Checking the device manager does anything show up with a '!'?

4. qldit

qldit

Good Evening Gentlemen, yes I think GripS has hit the nail on the head, if it was AC97 onboard or something like that previously it will likely show as a PCI device with a problem.
    Follow life's golden rule, you can touch my wife but not my computer or my mower!!
    Cheers, qldit.

5. Jackiefrost9

hmm i never thought that you had to disable that in BIOS but i guess it makes sense since you have to do it with video cards, looks like turning that off fixed it... well sort of, now when windows loads it is extrememly loud even if i had it turned way down, this didn't happen when onboard was enabled. anyone have any ideas on that?

6. Jackiefrost9

ok i lied it did it even when onboard was enabled, but still any thoughts?

7. qldit

qldit

G'day Jackie, there must be some sort of retain settings or default pre-setting somewhere.
    I can't say Ive seen that.
    I'm sure Doctor Grips will know!
    Cheers, qldit.

8. GripS

GripS

All I can suggest is uninstall the previous sound driver.

I did however have a pair of Altec Lansing speakers where the sound adjustment failed to work. I was still getting sound out of the speakers when they were turned off. Had to go buy new speakers.

9. Jackiefrost9

The previous sound driver was unistalled before i loaded the new one. As far as i can see there is no setting that would controll this. oh well it's only like a $15 card how good could it be right? I'll just go put some more money into a better card, that's what the guy who originally had this card did. Besides, sometimes when i open any program the sound will get all distorted and the only way to fix it is to restart. not worth it to me. thanks everyone for all the help but i think i've given up on this card.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice