Install Problems-PLz help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vash79

I'm having a terrible time trying to do a clean install Vista Home Premium (OEM) on my Alienware laptop. I disabled the raid conig. Used the drivers to find the hard drive in the vista setup. Vista then reconizes the hard drive, I format it, create the partition then when I try to install it says "Windows cannot determine if system has valid system volume"

Any ideas how I can fix this???

The laptop is Alienware 7700. raid 0 conifig using fasttrak 378 controller. which I disabled and used 378 sata drivers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Is this OEM version matched with the Alienware machine? It sounds like it's having problems recognizing the hardware.

vash79

No its not matched to the machine. I'm doing a clean install with an unused OEM version of Vista. I'm trying to figure out a way to get this to work.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It may be an uphill battle. Microsoft has gone to considerable lengths to insure only legal installations are possible.

vash79

Is there way way for them to tell I did not build it myself? The hard drive is wiped clean.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have no idea. My only experience with Vista is with the retail version with no licensing issues.

It sounds like a driver problem, not a licensing issue. Can you disable RAID altogether in the BIOS and have the controller emulate a standard IDE controler? Try the install without loading the SATA drivers. You may have to play with BIOS settings and drivers until you figure out which combination works.

I am having exactly the same problem with exactly the same machine, and it's driving me crazy. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with the exact version of Vista we're trying to install, but I have no idea if that's the cause.

Is disabling raid in the bios a safe thing to do?
And can you dimply reactivate it after Vista is installed without a problem?

Greets

Microsoft is now using a simple program with vista products that are vendor specific, so if you bought an alienware machine and are trying to use a dell oem cd, it will not work.

Besides why are you trying to install vista? it is crap......until SP1 is relaeased.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online