1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install Problems-PLz help

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vash79, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vash79

vash79 Thread Starter

I'm having a terrible time trying to do a clean install Vista Home Premium (OEM) on my Alienware laptop. I disabled the raid conig. Used the drivers to find the hard drive in the vista setup. Vista then reconizes the hard drive, I format it, create the partition then when I try to install it says "Windows cannot determine if system has valid system volume"

Any ideas how I can fix this???

The laptop is Alienware 7700. raid 0 conifig using fasttrak 378 controller. which I disabled and used 378 sata drivers.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Is this OEM version matched with the Alienware machine? It sounds like it's having problems recognizing the hardware.

3. vash79

vash79 Thread Starter

No its not matched to the machine. I'm doing a clean install with an unused OEM version of Vista. I'm trying to figure out a way to get this to work.

4. JohnWill

It may be an uphill battle. Microsoft has gone to considerable lengths to insure only legal installations are possible.

5. vash79

vash79 Thread Starter

Is there way way for them to tell I did not build it myself? The hard drive is wiped clean.

6. JohnWill

I have no idea. My only experience with Vista is with the retail version with no licensing issues.

7. TechB

TechB

It sounds like a driver problem, not a licensing issue. Can you disable RAID altogether in the BIOS and have the controller emulate a standard IDE controler? Try the install without loading the SATA drivers. You may have to play with BIOS settings and drivers until you figure out which combination works.

8. ZephYr_SkY

ZephYr_SkY

I am having exactly the same problem with exactly the same machine, and it's driving me crazy. I read somewhere that it might have something to do with the exact version of Vista we're trying to install, but I have no idea if that's the cause.

Is disabling raid in the bios a safe thing to do?
    And can you dimply reactivate it after Vista is installed without a problem?

Greets

9. boebi

boebi

I have exactly the same problem on my new Dell Computer..

10. lunat1k

lunat1k

Microsoft is now using a simple program with vista products that are vendor specific, so if you bought an alienware machine and are trying to use a dell oem cd, it will not work.

Besides why are you trying to install vista? it is crap......until SP1 is relaeased.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!