1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install problems win xp home

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zoldar, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zoldar

Zoldar Thread Starter

Am trying to install win XP home. i manage to get the drive formated fine windows does its install thing then goes to reboot , and this is where the trouble starts. Instead of rebooting and continuing to load windows it goes right back to the beginngn loads basic win files and goes to the page where you choose which partition to install on. It odes this over and over and over again. Ive tried 3 different drives with the same results on each. Ive tried fromatting to NTFS and FAT 32 makes no difference.

Ive been unable to find a format command utility anywhere other than the one that comes on the win cd. I'm thinking thers some left over boot data on the disk's (all used harddrives) that may be causing the problem but have never encountered it before after 8 years of tearing and rebuilding sytems for my self frineds and family.

Is there anywher i can go to get a good formatting utility that will run from the floppy in DOS mode.

Any suggestions are apreciated.

Thanks

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Early in the process . . when you boot from the cd, you will see a prompt "Press any key to boot from cd" . . the first time you see that prompt is the only time you should "press any key" . . just ignore it after that, and the installation should continue.

wrs

3. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

What I do is use the XP CD to delete all partitions, then make new partitions and format the first one to NTFS (The others I format from within Windows.

When it says "Press any key to boot from the CD... " only do this the FIRST time. Thereafter let it reboot by itself.

Have you got SP2 on the CD or have you slipstreamed SP2 with your Windows CD or is this XP Home with SP2 already incorparated?

Stick with NTFS as everything runs much better, especially if you have 512Mb of RAM or more.

Don't convert from FAT32 to NTFS. FULL formatting to NTFS is much better.

4. RAM-PAGE

RAM-PAGE Banned

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice