1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install software before hooking up any hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zergpc208, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Why does it say in the manual before hooking up a PDA,cell phone,MP3 or Ipod you have to install the software first that came with it?

There are big waring in the manual .

2. Sponsor

3. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

Xp and other operating systems prefer that the driver be present when it sees a device for the first time. Although Microsoft has a pretty deep set of drivers, some are not totally compatible with every device for that make and type. Installing the software first reduces the probability you will have problems.

4. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

And if the OS is not compatible can it damage the device? What about charging the battery.

5. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

I have a blackberry 8700 and also loaded RAZR phone works onto my system. Both work well, even using the same USB cable. Many smart phones and PDA systems have software that runs under XP or MAC, depending on your machine.

You can use the USB port to charge your device, assuming you leave your system on long enough to charge it. Running the computer just to charge your device would be a waste of electricity unless it's the only way to recharge the device.

It's not likely that the wrong computer O/S will damage your device, but make sure to NOT run any option that looks like it would wipe out the contents of your device (ie: wipe, erase, factory reset) unless you REALLY want to do that.

I have learned that device manuals are designed to have the user do things in a specific order for a reason. That usually makes for a faster and easier install. I have not followed the instructions and have ended up with lots of frustration and stress, even with 30 years of experience in computers.

6. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

Do you need the software install on the computer to charge the device?

7. angelgrimm

angelgrimm

I had a Motorola V8 and winxp didn't have the driver. I couldn't explore it and it wouldn't even charge (until I got the software).
    However, I had an LG phone (or maybe Panasonic), that was recognized as and external usb drive. I couldn't explore this one either, but it did charge.

I would say, just try it and share your experience.;) My guess is if your OS can recognize SOMETHING in it, it will at least charge.

8. DreadStorm

DreadStorm

Exactly, though some iPods don't even need to be recognized to charge. ;)

9. kfinpgh

kfinpgh

That depends on the device. The blackberry requires the software to be installed in order to recharge the phone using the computer. You could connect your device's cable to a live USB connection and see if it shows a charging indicator. Some are picky and some aren't.

If you plan to use a USB hub for the device's connection to the computer, make sure it has an external power source. A USB mouse or keyboard don't need power, but some other devices do. Both of my USB hubs use external power and I have had no problems connecting any device to them.

10. matthew0155

matthew0155

why is this a problem?

11. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

That is so strange how some device will charge and others not.And I don't know how it would run on old OS's like 95/98 and Windows ME

12. Soundy

Soundy

All USB devices (including keyboards and mice) require power, it's just a question of how much. Your computer provides up to 500mA of current to the USB ports. If you plug a hub in without its own power supply, the hub itself is powered from your computer's bus. Everything else you plug into that will then draw power from that same source. It can add up fast and eventually be more than the computer's port is designed to supply. If the hub has its own "wall wart" power supply, the devices on it will then draw from that rather than the computer.

Drawing too much current from the port can cause the voltage to drop and devices to disconnect, or in some case can causes crashes or random reboots. Some devices (such as hard drives) may not run at all without sufficient current.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power

13. horsecharles

horsecharles

You also save the step of having to upgrade to the latest manufacturer driver after Windows installs its own generic & usually stripped down and/or dated version.

Also, in the case of Vista, which doesn't really play too nice with some hardware(mice and printers come to mind)... it's recommended to NOT allow it to install its drivers, but only the manufacturer's.

I would go the extra step of installing the driver from disc AND update from maker... and in the case of Vista the extra utilities the maker bundles as well. Normally the latter is NOT recommended, but in the case of Vista these apps will usually have tricks and workarounds for Vista's lack of support-- one example: they may start necessary windows services, without which the peripheral might not work or even install at all.

re Vista, i'm thoroughly disgusted with diminished peripheral functions re mice, printers, scanners, fax... to name a few.

14. matthew0155

matthew0155

ok, but why is it such a big issue to install the drivers?

15. Soundy

Soundy

Umm, because hardware won't work without its drivers?

Or do you mean, why is it such a big issue to install them before plugging in the device?

As has already been noted, it isn't always - it depends on how the manufacturer has designed and built their installation process. RTFM first - if they say to install the software first, it's a good idea to install the software first. If they say to plug the device in first, then do that.

16. zergpc208

zergpc208 Thread Starter

From the post above you do not need the drivers to charge the device most of the time.

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice