Install SP2 Problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PJK

Banned
Hello,
I just got my SP2 CD in the mail today from Microsoft. I put the CD in, and it runs through the steps, and then it asks to reboot, I click okay. The computer will reboot to the second black screen, then then it will have the XP logo and under it: "Please wait...", and i let my computer sit like that for about 2 hours, and nothing happened. So I manually shut the computer off, when in, and unstalled it, and then put the disk back in and when through the wizard. The same exact thing happened, and I waited 2 hours and nothing happens, so I had to manually reboot. Is this normal, or is it a problem? Thanks
Pat

LauraMJ

Administrator
Problems like this usually happen because of unauthorized things on the computer. Like spyware, viruses, ect.

Have you run anti-spyware programs like Spybot S&D and Adaware before installing SP2? Did you run an updated antivirus program? Clean out all the temp files, empty recycle bin, defrag, ect? I also ran a chkdsk /r from the recovery console (or sfc /scannow from the "run" box) before I installed it to make sure there were not any errors.

If you haven't thoroughly cleaned up your system and made sure you were spyware-free, I'd say give that a try and then try installing it again.

Also make sure that all programs you have on your computer are legit. Things like "borrowed" CD-ROM programs from a friend's CD of products that need to be registered, or even unbeknownst pirated CDs will cause SP2 to have seizures.

PJK

Banned
Hello,
Yes, I have cleaned up my computer, and did all that, and the problem still persists. I didnt defrag, is there a specific way to defrag? Can you lead me through it? Thanks,
Pat

LauraMJ

Administrator
Click Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Rearrange items on your Hard disk to make programs run faster.

Then, click on the "analyze" button. This will tell you if you need to defrag or not. If you do then just click on the "defragement" button.

I've been told that on Windows XP, you should always do the analysis to see if it is necessary, and to not defrag if it the system says you do not need to.

If the problem persists, then it will need the help of someone more knowledgable than I.

PJK

Banned
Thanks, it told me I needed to defrag. Do you recommend I try to put the CD in and run it again? It seems I have my firewall and updates now...
Pat

LauraMJ

Administrator
You do need to have all the updates for SP1, I believe, and you also must have all the updates for Internet Explorer.

If you do "Start > Run" and type sfc /scannow, you will need the XP CD-ROM. It certainly would not hurt to run that to check for errors. It will probably take a while to run, it usually takes mine about 20-25 minutes, I think.

When you go to install SP2, disconnect from the internet, turn off your anti-virus program and firewall before you install.

PJK

Banned
Okay, I will do that, but before I re-install the SP2, do you recommend I uninstall what I have of SP2 ( I may have the full thing, just not sure ).
Thanks

LauraMJ

Administrator
I would, if it were having troubles installing it.

If, after all of this, you still are having problems, then I would suggest downloading and installing Hijack This from HERE and run a scan and save the log. After you save the log, copy and paste the log here into this thread and one of the experts will analyze it for you. It may be that there is something in the computer that is hidden that is interfering with the installation.

If no one analyzes it within a day or so, I'll try to get the attention of one of the experts and have them look at it.

PJK

Banned
Hello,
I ran it once again and it seemed to freeze at the same spot. I noticed that at least most (if not all) if SP2 has been installed, I see the Firewall there at least. I was wondering, when I click on my windows firewall, all the areas on the general tab are grey and they cannot be clicked or changed, and it is set to off, do you know how to change that to on? I noticed that when I go to the exceptions tab, it says:
"Windows Firewall is turned off. Your network administator is using Group Policy to control these settings"

Any ideas on how to turn that on? Or if SP2 was really installed, if not, how to fix that? Thanks
Pat

You should be able to turn it on through the Security Center. It sounds like you don't have proper install.

Try running services.msc and looking for:

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

Is the service present and can it be manually stopped or started from there?

PJK

Banned
Rollin'_Rog: It does not allow me to turn on the firewall through Security Center. When I run services.msc, it is present, and startup type is on automatic, and it is started, I didnt try to stop it, should I try that? Right now, I have Zone Alarm firewall, but I'd much rather use the Windows one for a few reasons, and just disable Z/A completely. I diabled Z/A and I still couldnt turn the Windows firewall on. I have uninstalled and reinstalled service pack 2 three times already, they take about 2 hours to do it, so I hope I dont have to do it again, and if I do, hopefully only once more. Any more help is appreciated, thanks
Pat

Something's not right, but I don't know what. Are you logged on with Administrative rights?

Run regedit and navigate to the key I show in this attachment. Verify that under "standard" profile you have the entries I have. If EnableFireWall does not show a "1", make it so by double clicking and modifying.

Also check the "Domain" key. It should have nothing but "default" there.

You may need to reboot for any changes to take effect.

Attachments

PJK

Banned
Hello,
I did not have the "DoNotAllowExceptions". I had the other two, and I had to edit the EnableFireWall to 1. Also, I still have Z/A running, so let me know to disable it before I get the other one going please. Thanks,
Pat

PJK

Banned
Also, the Domain looked fine, had nothing but default.
Pat

Disable ZA and reboot and see if the Windows Firewall is then enabled or if you can start it manually at that point.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts