install stops and searching for plug and play

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dneal55

Had W98 but had problems with that so uninstalled and went back to original W95. Install 1st time went fine but no sound so downloaded sound driver and computer froze up. SO I reinstalled W95 but NOW it freezes at searching for devices and plug and play. Computer runs for awhile and then stops and hangs for hours.
What to do?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi dneal55, welcome to TSG....

Sounds like you have some IRQ conflicts in the control panel / system/ device manager.

Try installing one item at a time without letting windows find the hardware on its own.

For example, do you have sound now? Is your display adapter settings correct with the colors/resolution? What other hardware do you have that isn't working?

And when you say it runs for awhile then freezes for hours, can you explain that a bit more....what are you doing when it freezes? Does the computer ever come up to a clean start in windows?

dneal55

After installing but before it completes installation, W95 reboots to complete install of plug and play devices and other hardware. I can watch the CPU run for a few seconds and then it stops and freezes for hours. So it never does finish the installation. I know there is a conflict because I tried to install in another directory and that went all the way through but I did have access to my CD Rom. I just don't know hor to resolve the IRQ conflict so I can complete the installation.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
When you first begin to install, you have the choice to modify the hardware list that you want windows to look for....try unchecking the things you know you don't have......try it again.....if that doesn't work, uncheck everything......when you finally get windows loaded, then attempt to install each device manually instead of allowing windows to search for it......

Max19

Account Disabled
Is all your hardware compatible with Windows 95? It's a very old operating system that Microsoft will not support any longer. I wouldn't recommend using it. Whatever problems you had with Windows 98 won't compare to the headaches you'll have with Window 95. It isn't compatible with some new software and most new hardware.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online