install video card

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gmac44

gmac44 said:
Tech:

I am not a computer genius. I find many, when they send a response on different things they do it to there ability to consume. The problem I have a Dell Dimensions 3000 computer near new. Intel Pentium 4 Processor 3GHz, 512 memory 80GB hard drive. The mother board is a 82865G. Video Card Integrated Intel(R) Extreme Graphics 2. I purchased a NVidia GeForce 5500 FX PCI 256 Video Card. I do no that this system will only take a PCI Card. I also have extra slots. I have disabled Extreme Graphics and downloaded the drives for the GeForce Card. Though it shows its downloaded none of the games work example Call Of Duty when I click on it to play A Fatal Error comes up stating could not OpenGL make sure you have thew latest drivers from the manufactures web site. Which I have downloaded though I still receive this error. The website gave me a bunch of stuff to try though like I say they forget who they are talking to, its all greek to me. If you need more info please contact. I would appreciate a response on this issue. For I am pretty green when it comes to tech stuff.

Regards
Gordie

Does the card appear in Device Manager? Do both video cards appear there?

Did the downloaded driver install without problems?

gmac44

Elvandil said:
Does the card appear in Device Manager? Do both video cards appear there?

Did the downloaded driver install without problems?
Yes the card appeared in the device manager and the extreme graphics card that was disabled shows and X. Also I downloaded the drivers with no problem

Rght-click your desktop, Properties, Settings tab, Advanced button. Do you get NVidia settings and do you see settings for OpenGL?

gmac44

Alvandil:

Thanks for the quick responses. Right on top of the display it states
Default Monitor and NIVIDA GeForce FX 5500 (Micros...
I don't see anything for Nivida settings or OpenGL

Did you install the driver that you downloaded? If you did, try booting into Safe Mode and reinstalling the driver.

You can get to Safe Mode by tapping F8 just before the Windows screen appears on boot. It may take a couple tries, but you will see a menu with boot options from which you can choose Safe Mode.

Put the driver installer on your desktop so it will be easy to find.

Check here to see if you have the right driver. You may want to redownload it in case it is corrupt:

http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

You may need to have that game redetect the video. Does it show the new card in the display options? You may need to reinstall the game if it detects the video card on installation. Do you have any other games you can try?

Go to Start > Run, and type:

dxdiag <Enter>

Try all the tests (after it finishes scanning) except the network ones. This will tell us about DirectX, though not OpenGL. See if there are any errors mentioned in the lower windows of each section.

Also try uninstalling your old display adapter.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online