1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install Vista XP on one harddrive

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by encryptedmaniac, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. encryptedmaniac

encryptedmaniac Thread Starter

I was wondering if it is possible to install vista and xp on one harddrive that has two partitions, if it is possible, then how do i do it?

I simply installed vista, and then i installed xp, after doing so, xp would automatically load and there would be no option for vista, it happens the same vice versa, vista loads xp doesn't. How can i have both?

2. dbailey18

dbailey18

What version of Vista do you have?

3. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    I don't know what you are doing wrong there. I have been installing Vista in it various flavours, for more than a year now. definitely, XP, or any other OS, must be installed first. You should then install Vista and it will, without prompting, install with an automatic dual boot. I am sure you are installing each on separate partitions.??

4. dbailey18

dbailey18

Right on davehc ! He should see in his first boot screen the option to boot to Vista or the so called Earlier version.

5. encryptedmaniac

encryptedmaniac Thread Starter

thx for the help guys
    i just realized my mistake, actually the whole situation was that i installed vista on a hard disk that had no partitions, then i realized i needed xp aswell, so from vista's control panel i created a partition. so in c:\ ( system boot ) i had vista, and then on the new partition d:\ ( logical ) i installed xp, so it overrode drive c's boot system, now i will start from scratch, create two partitions, on first i install xp , set it up, and then on second i install vista, this time it should work, i hope what im doing is right, too late for you guys to warn me though :)

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Normally, the sequence is to install the oldest operating system first, so if you install XP in one partition, then install Vista in another parititon, Vista will create the dual-boot menu to access both versions of Windows.

7. bc2planker

bc2planker

Ive got this exact setup on my PC now, and I get the Vista boot choice... either Vista or "older System".

My problem is that this stage of the boot seems not to have USB support, so my keyboard won't work.

If I want Vista, I just wait for the counter to expire, if I want XP, I have to un-plug the usb, put on an adapter, then plug the keyboard into the round plug.

Any idea how to get USB to work?

8. TechB

TechB

In the computer's BIOS enable USB legacy support. It's a hardware problem not a Windows problem. Windows hasn't loaded yet so you have to tell the computer to look for and use USB devices before Windows loads.

9. bc2planker

bc2planker

I actually already tried that. The USB support is enabled for the inital BIOS screen, and I am able to use the keyboard to change those settings.
    It seems that once the Vista boot manager starts, no more USB support. Thats why i thought maybe it was a Vista issue.

10. dbailey18

dbailey18

If you've enabled USB support in the BIOS, sounds like Vista is not recognizing your keyboard for some unknown reason ? I don't have a clue at the moment will check it out and in the mean time maybe some one will be along with the answer. Have you unpluged and then pluged the adapter back in ? I know this is a no no but it might work. Do this while Vista is running and see if you get any kind of a response or try another usb slot or maybe another keyboard , if ya can.

11. bc2planker

bc2planker

Maybe I should clairify... The USB keyboard works for the inital boot... then when the Vista DOS based boot manager starts, no USB support. Once the timer expires and Vista loads, USB support restored.

So in order to tell it to load XP, I have to put on the adapter, and plug into the conventional round keyboard plug.

Just kinda frustrating.

12. dbailey18

dbailey18

Sorry ! I now understand what is going on. Even though I will have to leave it up to someone else, it just went over my head !
    :eek:

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There should be an option for "legacy USB support" in the BIOS, perhaps changing that setting.

14. dbailey18

dbailey18

Something doesn't sound right here ? The first boot screen should be your Vista boot screen if you installed the way you were told which is XP first in your first partition and then Vista on your second partition . When you say initial boot, I don't quite understand what is initial boot? Then you say the Vista DOS based boot manager starts, no USB support after the Vista boot? Is this after the initial boot ? So in order to be able to use your key board keys you have to plug an adapter on to your USB key board cord while the boot screen which should be the Vista boot screen is displayed in order to select your XP Install. The next screen you should see after you select the XP install should be your XP boot screen if it is enabled if not what are you seeing ? Did you use Vista to partition your hard drive and then install XP in front of Vista or vise versa? How did you create the partitions on you drive? The reason I'm asking is my USB mouse and key board work fine when the Vista boot screen starts and I'm able to to use my arrow keys to select the XP install from the Vista boot screen. I already had XP installed and used Partition Magic version 8 to partition my drive way before Vista was available and everything went fine on the install of Vista even though your not supposed to use third party XP era partitioning tools. I could be way off base here, just trying to get abetter understanding of your situation. I think he already stated John that he enabled the USB support in the BIOS.

15. bc2planker

bc2planker

Ok, some more clarification....

I have had XP on the computer for a long, long time.... I installed Vista on the computer last week, and the Vista install process created the partition. So it was XP first, then Vista.

By "Initial Boot" I mean the first screen you see when the computer starts... i.e. 'Detecting Drives', Testing Memory, 'Push Del for setup', etc, etc... At this stage the USB keyboard works fine, I am able to enter BIOS setup, and yes I have 'Legacy USB' enabled.

By "Vista DOS Boot Screen" I mean the text screen that asks me what OS I want to start... either "Older Versions of Windows" or "Windows Vista". The default setting is Vista, and it has a 30sec counter. This is when there is no USB support. I can not change the selection unless I unplug the keyboard from USB jack, then put on the adapter, then plug into the conventional round jack (I think its called PS2?).

After I choose either XP or Vista, and that version of windows starts to load, the USB support is restored... in both OS.

Its just a pain to have to un-plug things on the back of the PC to choose my OS.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/524746

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice