1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install Win 2k

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FreeSteve, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FreeSteve

FreeSteve Thread Starter

I have a 98 OS on a computer and I tried to install Win 2K. Both Win 98 & Win 2K are present due to my clumsyness. I want to format the harddrive and remove all and install Win2K fresh. I have tried, though I don't seem to meet with success as the computer will not let me format it's harddrive probably because it recognizes both systems as active. Suggestions to wipe my harrdrive. I have a licensed Win2K disk and nothing else as tools.
    Have a floppy drive. Can you help or e mail me a program? Thanks, [email protected]

2. brianF

brianF

Here is an article on how to remove 2k Remove 2k

After you remove the 2k that is there, if your cdrom drive is bootable restart the machine with the win2k disk in. During the installation, choose new installation, under advanced setup options you can have 2k repartition and reformat your harddrive.
    If your cdrom isn't bootable, enter the bios, and change the boot options to cdrom/floppy/harddrive

If your cdrom drive won't work and your win98 is still working you can run setup from start/run in win98.

Sorry, only installed it once, can't quite remember the details

3. knologseeker

knologseeker

Go to Bootdisk.com and download a 98SE boot disk and put it on a floppy. Make sure to extract the format command from the cab file and copy it to the floppy also.

Boot from the floppy with CDROM support. Then use FDISK to remove all your partitions and then make new ones. Reboot with CDROM support and put in 2000 CD. Use the cd:<drive letter> command to change to the drive letter of your CDROM(usually D: or E: ) Run winnt.exe from the i/386 folder. You may have to change to the i/386 folder with the cd command.

Hope this was helpful.

4. FreeSteve

FreeSteve Thread Starter

Thank you; I formatted my harddrive and went into SysBios and changed to first boot from CD Rom and installed Win2K from there.
    I have really understood SysBios in the past several days and for us very novice people, I would suggest that more attention be paid to this... FreeSteve

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60661

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice