1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Install Win98se files to Harddrive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by edge, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. edge

edge Thread Starter

I have an Ibm THIKPAD 560 laptop that doesn't have a Cdrom, is there some way to write the setup files to the laptop harddrive from a PC and then run the setup from the laptop, if it's possible it would eliminate the need foe installing system drivers.

2. dr20

dr20

If you've got one of those adapters that could hook up your laptop to the pc then yes you should be able to transfer the whole 98 disk to the hard drive if there's enough HD space. It's about 700 mbs.

I've installed Windows myself that way and it's actually faster but you'll need to leave those installation files there in case you want to add new programs or files that requires access to them in the future since you don't have a cd rom.

Just create a folder called Win98 on the Root C: of the laptop then copy the contents of the entire 98 cd disk into it exactly as you see it. Boot the laptop normally with a Startup disk and at the A:\ prompt type:

C:

At the C:\ prompt type:

cd win98\setup.exe

That should begin the installation process.

3. edge

edge Thread Starter

I have an adapter that I can plug the harddrive directly into my pc, but I'm having trouble when I type in the c command win98 it says the directory already exist, I write the command to copy the files from cd it says wrong parameter. I other commands but the same problem. This is my first attempt, I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong

4. dr20

dr20

So what you're doing then is you've made the laptop hard drive a slave to the master on the pc or have you hooked the laptop up using direct cable connection?

5. edge

edge Thread Starter

I unplugged the master on the pc and plugged the laptop harddrive into master conection using an adapter, the harddrive is recognized. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was helping a friend of mine get malware off her pc.

6. dr20

dr20

Is there an Operating System currently on the laptop HD or did you boot in DOS in an attempt to copy the Win98SE disk on the Root C:? The hd is formatted and partitioned right?

A preferable way of going would be if you can is make the laptop a slave to the master pc hard drive. The adapter should allow you to do that. Would that be possible, some laptops may force you to completely remove the HD.

As long as you can change the jumper pin you'd probably be alright without having to disassemble it.

If you're unable to and have to keep it a master what commands are you using that's giving you the wrong parameter message?

7. edge

edge Thread Starter

I bought this harddrive formated to fats32, there isn't an os on it. I booted with a start up floppy, I typed c prompt I typed c enterthe MD SETUP98 ENTER the CD SETUP98 ENTER, got wrong parameter, so I next tried an xcopy disk typed MD WIN98 FROM c\> prompt then I used the xcopy command XCOPY E:win98 c:\win98 /s /e this didn't work either. Th first command I tried c directory already exists. I thought I was on my way but there's something wrong with MD SET98 command.

8. jubalsams

jubalsams

Assuming the HDD is seen by your desktop PC (it appears in BIOS) and formatted FAT32, and you only have one HDD installed, AND you are using the "Microsoft Windows98se Startup" floppy (or an exact copy of it), boot with your Microsoft Startup floppy and key in (implied hit Enter after each line):

SYS C:

C:

MD Win98

CD Win98

Now insert your Windows 98se CD and key in:

COPY E:\Win98\*.*

This copy will take a long while. Now the drive will be bootable in your laptop. Install the drive, boot it up and at the C:> prompt type:

CD Win98

Then key in:

SETUP

Note: if you don't have a Microsoft Win98se Startup disk, get the program to create one here (Windows 98SE Boot Disk):
    http://www.allbootdisks.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=42&func=selectfolder&filecatid=10

And then you will need to find the device drivers for that laptop.
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=TPAD-MATRIX

Best

9. dr20

dr20

You want to copy over the whole 98 cd disk, not just the Win98 folder from the above command.

Try this command after creating a Win98 folder on your root C:

At the C:\ prompt type:

xcopy e:\ /e c:\win98

Just be sure when you boot with the Startup disk that you press 1 for CD support so the dirvers are loaded.

E:\ will become your CD-Rom drive if all you have is one partition on the laptop HD.

Once it's copied then at the C:\ prompt type:

cd win98\setup.exe

Your 98SE version must be a full edition otherwise it'll request confirmation of Windows 95 or 98 and without a CD-Rom you won't be able to do that unless you copy over the full edition of either OS onto the laptop HD as well.

10. edge

edge Thread Starter

Thanks for the help. I had to work late tonight and tommorrrow night but I will give it another try Thursday night and let you what happens. I do have a full addition of 98se and the harddrive is shown as the pc boots up.

11. dr20

dr20

Very good, let us know how it goes.

Btw I should have mentioned to create a Win98 folder on the Root C: type at the C:\ prompt:

md win98

To make sure it's there afterwards type at the C:\ prompt:

cd win98

You should then be at the C:\win98 prompt.

To get back to the C: prompt type:

cd c:\

Then you can go ahead and copy over the contents of the Windows 98SE disk using this command:

xcopy e:\ /e c:\win98

12. dr20

dr20

Almost forgot to mention, in order for those commands to work you must have the XCOPY program on the Startup disk. If your pc based system is Windows 98 or ME look in the C:\Windows\Command folder for these three files and place directly onto the Startup disk (not in a folder):

XCOPY.exe
    XCOPY32.exe
    XCOPY32.mod

If you don't have them look below to download the attachment. They're in a zip folder so they'll need to be extracted first. Once they're on your Startup disk the copy command from the previous post should work properly

Attached Files:

13. edge

edge Thread Starter

I had to set my pc to boot from floppy first , it won't boot to the floppy if I set cdrm c a, the floppy loads 1Generic IDE cdrm drive(oakcdrom. sys) CDRom loads as drive x 2.memory manage (himem.sys andemmu 386 exe 3 is a list of components .At the bottom is an a promptI typed in c:\ and get the c prompt md win 98 and get invalid media by reading drive c this is as far as I got.

14. dr20

dr20

Hi you don't need the CD-Rom to boot just the Floppy then the Hard Drive.

Your laptop HD doesn't sound like it's been formatted.

Reboot with the Startup disk and at the A:\ Prompt type:

Format c: <press enter>

When it's finished try to create the win98 folder again from the C:\ prompt.

15. edge

edge Thread Starter

Can't run format without running fdisk,should I start over delete the partition and create a new primary dos partition and format?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice