1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

install windows from an unbootable CD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bettyssimo, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bettyssimo

bettyssimo Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Hasee laptop and I wanted to re-install windows from a bootable cd and everything was ok but after it uninstalled my windows it didn't quite install it back because the disc was scratched , So at the moment i can't use my laptop and don't have a recovery disc either. I have now an windows XP to install it but the cd is not bootable and I don't know what to do to install it because when I restart my laptop it doesn't install windows from that cd. It goes in setup and is asking me to insert the recovery disc which I don't have. How can I install windows back on my laptop? please help me!!! Many thanks!

2. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  3. bettyssimo

I bought the laptop second hand. Do you think they will give me the replacement cd in these conditions?

4. How'dIdoThat

How'dIdoThat

First Name:
    RWF
  5. bettyssimo

Thank you for what you gave me to read. I did read it and it is interesting but...i don't think you really understand what my problem is. First i am not able to go in start anymore. All it appears on my screen at the moment is a black screen with two options: one with windows xp professional and second one with windows xp professional setup and if I press enter for first one the black screen remains and it is written the following message: the following file is missing or is corrupt <Windows root>\system32\hal.dll ... please re-install a copy of the above file. If i choose the setup option is asking me to insert the CD labeled Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD into CD rom drive, press enter when ready. I don't know what to do and where to find that Service pack 2.

6. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    ive never heard of that brand of computer. however if u have a legit copy of windows xp pro with sp2 in it what u do if its not a damaged or scratched disk is put it in the cd drive and restart the computer and keep tapping F12 which will give u the boot order for most computers u scroll down to have it boot from a cd. then u hit enter. then u should see a black screen and a blinking cursor which should say hit any key to boot from the cd. u hit enter and go from there. its sounds like u have 2 copies of windows xp in your computer and somehow one got corrupted.if u have a legit coa sticker for windows xp pro on the computer which should be on the tower if its a desktop or on the bottom if its a laptop u type that in and go from there.just follow the instructions on the cd. make sure u have the xp drivers available for this computer and u will need to install all of the xp updates which are included in sp3 which u have to download.hope this helps u.

7. bettyssimo

ok did that but not working, if I press F12 the boot manu comes on and i pressed !. IDE CD and the blank screen with flashing cursor appears but nothing else. tried also with the second option from boot menu and still nothing.I am becoming frustrated :D Maybe there is another solution. Do you think if I will buy a new windows Cd will be better? Is that the only solution? I am quite new in computers and blew it :(

8. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

Do you have the facility in another machine to create a new bootable CD from a copy of the old one? You would need Nero or ImgBurn or similar with the ability to burn an ISO to make the disk bootable. That could be the answer if you're sure the disk is scratched and not otherwise corrupted. How did it become scratched after working properly the first time you tried to reinstall?

9. bettyssimo

i did a copy after the disc but still not working. it is first time when I tried to reinstall this using this Cd. i did a copy but it is the same. First time it went ok it told me that everything from C will be deleted and the instalation will become and after that it just stoped and aske me for the service pack 2 cd and don't have one. Im not sure if I will buy a new windows if it will re-install it or not. If it will then i will have to buy another one, but if it won't do it either from a new CD, what else I could do?

10. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

If it's asking for a Windows XP SP2 disk, it must think it's trying to repair an existing installation and not to make a fresh one. For you not to have such a disk,. your XP CD must be an original from 2001/2 or not much later. Is that the case?

11. bettyssimo

yes it is an old one, don't really remembers since. thanks anyway for trying to help me

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914702

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice