Install Windows xp pro 64bit on a hp pavilion notebook

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ctsilva

Hi,

I recently decided to swap my windows vista into the windows xp pro. I currently use an hp pavilion dv7-1245dx with windows vista home premium. ive been trying to format and look at various forums boards to try to find a solution for the famous blue error screen. every time that o pop the windows xp cd into the machine it goes like its about to install the windows and then doesn't let me choose the hard drive or anything it goes straight to the blue error message saying that theres something wrong with my HD or i have a virus which is impossible bc i even bought a new HD to try and still shows the same message

So please if anybody knows how to fix this proble, help me out :D

Thanks a lot.

Charles

DoubleHelix

Banned
HP doesn't have drivers for Windows XP for that model, so if you manage to get it installed, you'll run into problems getting all the hardware to work. Windows XP 64-bit is especially difficult since it received very little hardware or software support when it was released. The problem you're having is because Windows XP doesn't have drivers for the SATA controller for the computer.

HP does have Windows 7 drivers available. You'll have much better luck moving forward than you will moving backward.

If you're determined to go with XP, and willing to settle for the 32-bit version, there's a very comprehensive guide to finding drivers for your downgrade here in the HP Support Forum.

Your laptop is in Section 3---difficult models to downgrade. Much reading is required and apparently a fair amount of luck.

The tutorial is not officially sanctioned by HP, and if you have warranty issues with your machine, it's likely that HP would require you to reinstall Vista for troubleshooting...

ctsilva

Thank you some much for the help guys, i guess i just made a bad decision and bought that windows xp. i really appreciate yalls time and effort

ctsilva

now ive got another question pertaining to the subject too, i bought a 320gb 7200rpm HD bc i tought that the HD was messed up but now ive got the original 320gb 5400rpm and the one i bought in the laptop but i dont think its recognizing or something what do i need to do? keep both in the laptop even thou its gonna slow the machine down or what?
thanks,
charles silva

DoubleHelix

Banned
What makes you think the hard drive that's in it is "messed up"? It's not because you can't boot from the Windows XP disk. What do you mean by keeping both in the laptop? Does it have internal connections for two drives? Most don't. Having two internal hard drives or an external drive connected don't have any affect on overall system performance.

ctsilva

i tought it was messed up at first bc of the blue screen and the message saying that it might had a virus or it was corrupted so when i bought a new one i tought the message wasnt gonna happen and it did thats when i knew the HD wasnt messed up. My laptop have two HD bays, thanks for the info

DoubleHelix

Banned
The blue screen while trying to install Windows XP does not indicate a problem with the drive. A virus is easily wiped out with a reinstall of Windows, so that doesn't mean it needs to be replaced either.

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
If HP doesn't have XP drivers for the laptop and you don't know exactly what you need, then you have to do it the hard way.

Clicking Properties for an unknown yellow device in Device Manager, and then Details will bring open a window with a drop down menu. In a box below Device Instance ID you should see a text string similar to PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_18931019&REV_60.

Then you go to a vendor lookup site such as pcidatabase.com and seach for vendor 1106 and device 3059 (in the example). It tells you have a VIA southbridge, so you head over to their website and get the VIA 4-in-1 driver. And so on... painful if you have to do it for more than one or two drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online